Valued Contributor

Re: The Great British Baking Show on PBS

@lulu2 wrote:

While the format was the same, the American version did not measure up to the British version.  The American hosts tried too hard to imitate the Brits and simply missed the boat  The contestants' skills were sorely lacking and there seemed to be little interaction among them.  What I loved about the original version was the quirkiness of everyone involved.  The only highlight (for me) was Mary. 

Most of the gingerbread houses looked like something I do with our Grands.  You would think they would have practiced, practiced, practiced. 

Exactly my thoughts, too!  Those gingerbread houses were mostly tragic-even I could pipe the icing better than they did!  I did think the winner deserved the win.

Also thought  the hosts were desperately trying to imitate the British presenters. And I think Paul Hollywood is much cuter than the new baking guy.

Did you notice the background shot of all the crocuses? Indicates this show must have been filmed in early spring.

Still, it is much, much better than the Holiday Baking Championship on the Food Network with Bobby Deen.  

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

While the format was the same, the American version did not measure up to the British version.  The American hosts tried too hard to imitate the Brits and simply missed the boat  The contestants' skills were sorely lacking and there seemed to be little interaction among them.  What I loved about the original version was the quirkiness of everyone involved.  The only highlight (for me) was Mary. 

Most of the gingerbread houses looked like something I do with our Grands.  You would think they would have practiced, practiced, practiced. 

I will give the American version a chance  next week.  The British bakers are so meticulate with everything. 

I'll give it another shot too. There were only 6 contestants so it is easy to speculate who is going to win. 

Honored Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts, too!  Those gingerbread houses were mostly tragic-even I could pipe the icing better than they did!  I did think the winner deserved the win.

Also thought  the hosts were desperately trying to imitate the British presenters. And I think Paul Hollywood is much cuter than the new baking guy.

Did you notice the background shot of all the crocuses? Indicates this show must have been filmed in early spring.

Still, it is much, much better than the Holiday Baking Championship on the Food Network with Bobby Deen.  

I wondered about those crocus.

I missed Paul Hollywood, too. He and Mary are great together.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Colinka wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

I agree with both of you.  This was a pale imitation of the British show.  The contestants were more "out there" and less skilled, the female host was annoying, and the male judge not as good as Paul Hollywood.  They even tried to bring Mary out of her reserved British shell, making her more American.  Not good.

Respected Contributor

I was so looking forward to the show.  I loved Mary.  Didn't like the American hosts--trying too hard to imitate.  The American Judge didn't have much sparkle.  And the contenstants----Wow.  But I will be watching.  Loved the British version.  I do watch the Food Network show---but I am not a fan of Bobby D. 

I thought the same thing about the crocus.  Had to be in spring.

Respected Contributor

I'm annoyed that I forgot about this show.  Being English, I love the British version. Will have to look out for it next time.  Thanks for the reminder.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who gets your vote?

Image result for johnny iuzzini orImage result for paul hollywood

Also, a link to a great article in The Guardian which pretty much sums it all up:

Guardian article

Honored Contributor

Re: The Great British Baking Show on ABC

The American version was embarrassing.  Some of the contestants seemed very lacking in skill and/or knowledge.  This is the best that they could come up with?   It's a rather colorless imitation of the British version.

The hosts seemed insincere, too.  The whole thing was close to a disaster.  I know, that's a pretty strong word so maybe it's an exaggeration because a couple of the bakers did well, but a couple of them barely seemed to try.  

Nevertheless, I'll watch again next Monday to see if they try harder.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

The American version was embarrassing.  Some of the contestants seemed very lacking in skill and/or knowledge.  This is the best that they could come up with?   It's a rather colorless imitation of the British version.

The hosts seemed insincere, too.  The whole thing was close to a disaster.  I know, that's a pretty strong word so maybe it's an exaggeration because a couple of the bakers did well, but a couple of them barely seemed to try.  Nevertheless, I'll watch again next Monday to see if they try harder.

-------------------------------

Exactly what I was thinking as I watched the show!  Did not have anywhere near the appeal of the British show.  Kind of glad there ae only six contestants....maybe the show will get better????

Respected Contributor

I recorded it just watched - I love the British show -  two things irritated me - very silly but it is just me - the first the female host who on earth is she - just did not like her at all and second the Chef Judge all the jewelry on his hands very off- putting while sampling food.  Just my thoughts.

Not that all impressed but will give it another chance next week.