Respected Contributor

Let me begin by saying I am a huge fan of this show.  I've purchased all of the movies and all five seasons of the series.   This is the first year that I can say I'm not really liking the show as much.   

Other than Cassie and Sam along with Stephanie and Adam there aren't a whole lot of characters that are interesting to me.   I still enjoy Tom and Martha but I cannot warm up to Abigail and Donovan.  Their romance seems dull and I find her, in particular, somewhat irritating.  

I do not care for the addition of Joy as the new member of the Merriweather clan.   I think part of it is they brought her on and suddenly she is inserted into almost every scene.  I don't find her character very compelling at all.   

I don't know if the show is just getting stale or if I miss the other characters that used to be more front and center.   I know I miss both Cassie's daughter and Sam's son.  

Is anyone else not enjoying the show as much this year?   If so, what are your reasons?

Valued Contributor

Re: The Good Witch..Season 6

[ Edited ]

My thoughts exactly.  I thought it was just me or that I wasn't giving this new "look" a chance.  This new character Joy is just not that interesting to me and the whole idea of her being a Merriweather seems forced and contrived. The so-called romance of Abigail and Donovan is very, very dull.  The character of Donavan is bland and Abigail is often irritating to me, too.  Last week with more of Tom and Martha (who I find really funny and quirky) was such a breath of fresh air!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never thought it was 'all that' and thought the movies were, for the most part, better than the series, but yes, I think the shows drag a bit more this year than usual...

I never much cared for the daughter, so don't really miss her... And Cassie's former step children always seemed badly cast, so I don't really miss them either... Did enjoy her step-son with Sam... But agree that something is lacking...

I also think they need to tone Martha down a few notches... I like the character, but she's become more of a caricature and is almost cartoon like... Agree, not really liking the new Merriweather and find Abigail and Donovan sort of tedious, though the other ancillary 'romance' between Stephanie and Adam is a bit more interesting...

Truth to tell, I've always thought they needed to get off the fence with Abigail and make her either friend of foe, if that makes any sense, and Donovan is just pure Hallmark milquetoast...

Cassie too has become borderline tedious... What used to pass for her being an 'ethereal' sort of persona is becoming more a matter of her sleepwalking through each episode...

I don't know, maybe it's run its course and should revert back to the occasional special movie format that worked well... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I used to really like the movies but when the series began without her husband I just couldn't get into it.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I used to really like the movies but when the series began without her husband I just couldn't get into it.

I agree.  I just never liked it after the first husband was gone.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I have stated this before as well.  I was excited about the series because I enjoyed the movies so much.  Once I heard the husband was not returning I could not get into it.  I kind of thought they would write him back in like they do on soap operas lol

Frequent Contributor

Good evening:

I, too, have enjoyed watching all of the Good Witch movies as well as the series.  I still faithfully watch the show but find it slow moving.  Once the kids in a show grow up, a series tends to fade away.  When two characters finally get together, (Cassie/Sam), a series tends to lose excitement, tension, a reason to watch. Furthermore, the mystque of Cassie has diminished. 

Honored Contributor

I like this show too and have seen all the movies.  I have this season so far on the dvr and havent watched yet.  Its been a favorite show of mine, I hope they dont ruin it!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I'm still enjoying this show.  I think I've seen all the movies and maybe all of the regular shows, too.  I do agree with what many of you are saying though.  Abigal has never appealed to me that much, and I don't understand the point of the addition of Joy.  I really like Stephanie and Adam.  A little of Martha goes a long way.

It sounds like I don't like the show when I read this back, but I really do!  I would hate to see them take it off the air.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I'm still enjoying this show.  I think I've seen all the movies and maybe all of the regular shows, too.  I do agree with what many of you are saying though.  Abigal has never appealed to me that much, and I don't understand the point of the addition of Joy.  I really like Stephanie and Adam.  A little of Martha goes a long way.

It sounds like I don't like the show when I read this back, but I really do!  I would hate to see them take it off the air.

I totally agree. I would hate to see it taken off the air. It's not heavy. It's different from the traditional Hallmark formula.

I'm not crazy about Joy. The character needs to be developed.

I wish it was more about the Merrywicks really.