Valued Contributor

I agree with everyone here--LOVED the Will scenes--HATED the ambiguous ending.  Don't series writer get that fans want CLOSURE?????  Hello--SIX FEET UNDER had one of the BEST series finales EVER--take a lesson, writers!

Honored Contributor

The best thing about the episode was this Oscar de la Renta navy and white scalloped edge jacket worn by Christine Baranski.

I could not find an image of her in it except for this.  I hope someone puts her picture on the web showing the jacket border.  Just gorgeous, and so "Diane."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I sort of think Alicia realized in the finale what standing by Peter all these years has cost her & the person she's become because of it.  How do we know she won't hunt Jason down or just find some new guy that will make her happy?

Honored Contributor

@Kiakc wrote:

I so agree the ending was awful.  I am sitting here in disbelief that they did such a poor job.  

I thought it was a fitting ending to the show. It was shocking and it was harsh, but The Good Wife has never shied away from either of those things before. It wasn't an easy ending, and The Good Wife has never been about doing things the easy way. 

And it gave us a full circle ending that showed how Alicia has changed and switched positions. But it hurt it, she didn't react coldly, she reacted emotionally. That says that she hasn't gone so far as to become Peter. Then she straightened herself up and marched onward, which is what she's done from the very beginning.

Honored Contributor

The article and video on cbs.com by the creators explaining the ending was very interesting.  I'm glad I read/watched them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Did anyone else think this episode was long? I couldn't wait to get to the end in anticipation of seeing how it would all end! I LOVED seeing Will again. I have to say I don't like when writers leave it up to the viewers, what the ending means. Somehow I feel cheated. 

Yes !!!!    Except for "the slap" and the disappointing ending scene, the episode was so drawn out and boring that I actually thought it was over at one of the commercial breaks.  I thought to myself, what a weird way to end a series...lol   And then it returned after the commercial break...lol  

I actually DVR'd this so I FF the commercials! I couldn't wait to get to the end, and it was such a disappointment. I really don't like when it's left up to the viewer as how to interpret the ending. Why can't they make it clear cut for us?

Esteemed Contributor

I couldn't get back to this. I had to buy a new mouse and my son had to fix other problems last night. I do agree with most of you--Didn't like the ending at all. I guess most of us want happy ever after but from experience it doesn't happen very often. It is hard to find a good man and have it all.

Respected Contributor

ITA. Full circle. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hello everyone.  I watched the final episode last night and enjoyed all the commentary in this thread about the show.

I thought about this today, mulling it over.  My first reaction was to be disappointed at the ending.  However, as I thought about it, I thought it was a realistic ending.  

Put yourself in Alicia's position.  She is on the way out of a long marriage.  She did what she considered the honorable thing (at least for public consumption) all along.  She was married to Peter for a long time, had two children with him and will still have a co parent relationship with him.  After having taken his infidelities for so long, she decides to go her own way.  She did the honorable thing in standing by him throughout the trial knowing that her absence might negatively affect the outcome of the trial.

Her daughter is devastated that her father will end up in prison, so much so that she is delaying her university start.  Alicia's finally a short walk away from life without Peter.  

Her professional life is dog eat dog and has been all the way along.  She makes a decision to cut Diane loose and save Peter.  I believe that Diane would have done exactly the same thing to her if the roles were reversed.  I understand Diane's anger.  I understand Diane's slap.  If  Alicia was surprised by the slap, I don't understand that.  

At the end of the day, you must live with your decisions.  It is a slice of life that we saw and life is not perfect.  A happy ending is nice but in real life it doesn't always happen so I am ok with it.

It also leaves the door open for a continuation.

There, I'm done.Smiley Happy  LM 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Did anyone else think this episode was long? I couldn't wait to get to the end in anticipation of seeing how it would all end! I LOVED seeing Will again. I have to say I don't like when writers leave it up to the viewers, what the ending means. Somehow I feel cheated. 

@Jordan2- the only good thing about the finale was the appearance of Will.  I really didn't care for the show after he left but I watched it.  By the time the series ended, I did not like the Alicia character.  She became ruthless and dishonorable....which is not good....the final episodes consisted of her hopping in and out of bed with Jason.  the episodes were boring but I liked the appearance of Michael J Fox.  I loved the brilliant but ditsy attorney, Taschione? I fell asleep during a few episodes and maybe she did appear and I missed her but she was one of my favorite characters.   I just felt the finale was terrible but as said, I didn't care for Alicia at the end and what she did.