Respected Contributor

Re: The Good Doctor - new show on ABC

@chiclet wrote:

It interested me enough to watch it again.  It is not realistic but I have been to some doctors who barely look at me and just keep typing into the computer and barely had interaction with me.  They could have been autistic.

No, that's a result of the new documenting law.

It makes me uneasy that they can't really listen and have to be typing into a computer.  Not good for patient care.  Some doctors will listen and enter data at the end of the visit.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

I have been around  many people with different disabilities, including those in my own family.  And I have seen how some people mistreat them.  It always makes me so angry!!  But I also understand that many people just don't know how to interact with those that are different from themselves.

I enjoyed the first show and will probably keep watching

Respected Contributor

@Tique wrote:

As someone who has had autism in my life on a daily basis for over 30 years, I wasn't sure this would be a show for me. I watched tonight and found myself tearing up a couple of times. I thought the first show was well done and look forward to the next one.

No firsthand experience with autism but I also liked it and look forward to it.  Agree with a comment above that basically Big Bang Theory's writers have skirted the issue that Sheldon's character has some form of autism and I think they've done a great job with that show.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

The return of Doogie Howser...lol   Except this being 2017, he's autistic.  It's a ridiculous idea for a show.  I know that tv shows are all fantasy but this one boggles the mind.  It's either going to be big hit or a total dud.  There won't be a middle ground.

Well I'm all for more shows featuring autism spectrum characters. There is too much prejudice as it is and anything that might possibly promote compassion, empathy and understanding is a positive in my book. It's sad that that so many people need a tv show to learn it, but it is what it is. 

I thought the show was great and brought tears to my eyes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Whether a show with a child actor works is a very fine line. It depends on both the scripts and the actor.

In addition to this show, which will be a drama, we will also have Young Sheldon, which will be a comedy. 

Two shows who take on similar issues - young Sheldon (Cooper) who clearly has Asperger's manifestations whether the writers deny that or not, being played for laughs, and The Good Doctor with a character full on (but how much full on we haven't seen yet) autistic, not played for laughs at all.

I predict Young Sheldon will quickly sink to the bottom. The Good Doctor, if done well, has more of a chance IMO.

Don't forget what Monk did for those with OCD. Many parents have children with autism; I think they'll be watching, at least at first. The public is curious about autism. And there are high profile, high functioning autistics like Temple Grandin - I suspect this kid will be portrayed much as she is in real life - autistic, high functioning, knows it, does her best to compensate & communicate.

I think the show is using the new terminology, which no longer including aspergers as a term, it's just autism spectrum now. We still use aspergers when discussing it at home amongst ourselves. The Good Doctor character clearly is what we would have in the past called aspergers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

My heart broke for Shawn, and the abuse that he went through growing up. 

I don't like how the other doctors continue to pick on him and belittle him, simply because he is "different".

Shawn has been proven right, so why not give him credit for being good?

I liked it, and will watch again, but I just don't like when someone is being picked on like that.

I understand why they're showing that, even though I also hate seeing it. Just read these boards, especially in CC. People are heartless and viscious about anyone different from them. Sure, if you're in a wheelchair they might be nice. But other than that, not so much. 

I thought the Drs speech comparing prejudice done in the past was eloquent and very much needed. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Remember the lawyer on Boston Legal who had Asperger's, that was a very interesting and complex character for sure.

Honored Contributor

@corita

me too!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

I liked the show but was really surprised my husband liked it too. I think he liked the aspect of showing how the doctor sees things and thinks.

I believe Chicago Med on NBC also has a doctor with autism. But he only just recently found out he had it. Maybe it's not autism but something like it. Maybe someone else knows. 

I also watch the show Born This Way. I don't know how anyone can treat them bad. They are just a little different but very very capable. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I liked the show but was really surprised my husband liked it too. I think he liked the aspect of showing how the doctor sees things and thinks.

I believe Chicago Med on NBC also has a doctor with autism. But he only just recently found out he had it. Maybe it's not autism but something like it. Maybe someone else knows. 

I also watch the show Born This Way. I don't know how anyone can treat them bad. They are just a little different but very very capable. 

Yes, you're referring to Dr Latham.