Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Good Doctor - new show on ABC

My heart broke for Shawn, and the abuse that he went through growing up. 

I don't like how the other doctors continue to pick on him and belittle him, simply because he is "different".

Shawn has been proven right, so why not give him credit for being good?

I liked it, and will watch again, but I just don't like when someone is being picked on like that.

Honored Contributor

I make it a point not to read anything about new shows.

I have a TiVo Wish List for "Pilot" and I get all the pilot episodes (and shows about pilots LOL).

I had no idea what to expect with this and I really liked it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Not a fan of doctor shows but was with people who wanted to watch this.

I really enjoyed it.

Also never saw so many extremely handsome doctors.

Honored Contributor

Well, the thing about Aspergers is there are many variations of it.  It's not 'one size fits all'.

I don't know that it's supposed to teach the audience about whatever variety he has, as much as it's about showing how people can overcome what some perceive as a hindrance.

Maybe it's a show where the audience will pull from it a variety of life's lessons.

I sure hope it doesn't become preachy, preachy in any form.  I feel like I get enough of that just watching the news these days.  It's like....'it's OK to be different....as long as it's politically correct different.  Does that make sense?  Probably not.

I watched the show.  I think the kid who plays the lead is very cute and a good actor.

Here's a quote from a Dr who knows about Autism:

People with autism have a range of traits and behaviors, and individual depictions don't represent the broader group, says Heather Volk, an assistant professor at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She cites a saying familiar to professionals: "When you've seen one individual with autism, you've seen one individual with autism." 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66    that quote was right on target. I remember talking to many of my friends when Rain Man came out in the late '80s. That was during the time when if someone said "autistic", most thought you were saying "artistic". I was conflicted about that movie. For me, I thought it was "a blessing and a curse" because as you said it showed "one individual with autism".

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tique Yes!  While I salute TV shows that are different and people are 'allowed' to be themselves; in some way I almost feel like it's a disservice because most people will think 'this is autism'; but the other side of my brain says, "Look at the bigger picture...at least they won't be saying artistic anymore"  Right?  I don't know.

Respected Contributor

Since my daughter HAS an autistic disorder, I may tune in just to see it portrayed.

She is extremely smart, but I don't know she could do the social skills and other aspects of working in the medical field.  As an RN, she often tells me she could never do that job!

I liked the character on "Criminal Minds," who they portrayed with AS.  My daughter can be like that, coming off as "little professor."  I have had to coach her a lot on social issues!

If the autism is just a gratuitous addition, I probably won't like it, since I am an expert!!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

It interested me enough to watch it again.  It is not realistic but I have been to some doctors who barely look at me and just keep typing into the computer and barely had interaction with me.  They could have been autistic.

Respected Contributor

we had taped it so we watched it last night. we both loved the show.i dont get hooked on the first episode to often but this show i was hooked on it allready.

Honored Contributor

From my own experiences working for many years with uniquely abled people, I'd make a guess that most of us have dealt with people "on the spectrum" and not known it.