Honored Contributor

Re: The Glass Castle, the movie

@annie315 wrote:

I read the book years ago and loved it as well as everything else she wrote. I saw the movie last week and adored it. If it wasn't perfectly true to the book, I wouldn't have noticed...I went in to see a wonderful story and it delivers. I found it beautifully done...I was totally drawn in. Woody Harrelson was outstanding as the father. I did find the younger Jeannette more interesting than the adult Jeannette. See the movie. Don't leave when the credits begin as there are lots of original photos and videos of the family. I admit, I am not a movie critic, but I know good entertainment.

@annie315

I really want to see this!  This is the first movie I have wanted to see in a long, long time.

I am glad you enjoyed it.  And I appreciate your review! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I have not read the book, but the movie commercials that I have seen have struck a cord within me. I really want to see the movie.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Did you read the book?  I heard woodys performance as the dad was good, but he ate up the scenery.  Also, in the movie the story centered around him...which wasnt my take.  Why oh why?

another favorite book of mine is The Help.  Although the movie could never cover the book, (as it was long and too detailed, with many plots). The movie The Help still  stayed true to the characters,and the story in general.  I have the unabridged book on tape, and it is 19 hours long read exactly as written.  By the way, octavia Spencer reads the role of Minnie in the audio book.  The reading is the best I ever listened to.  It won many audio awards as well!!

@shoekitty

I did not read the book.  I saw a number of the actors (all of whom I like) discussing the movie and was really looking forward to it.  Watching 2 hours of child abuse is not my idea of entertainment.

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

No, it wasnt depressing.  But I did get mad, mad at the mom, mad at the Dad.  A friend and my mother read it at the same time.  Everyday we would call each other and rant  and rave.  I had no sympathy for the Mom.  The memoir didnt say, but she had to be madly narcissic or mentally ill.  Her utter disregard for her kids suffering was odd to say the least.  she had a couple redeeming moments, but they were soon lost.

it wasnt depressing.  But it sure makes you think. It turns out pretty well.  The entire book is a life story told, without any judgement or analyzing.  That is hard to do in writing.  Must be the authors journalistic experience taking over. 

I remember reading an article from a few years ago, which mentioned the mother was probably bi-polar.  I think she's still living, and also resides in a cottage on Jeannette's property.  The mother, apparently, was still somewhat living in a disheveled manner in the cottage behind Jeannette's home. 

I don't know if the book or movie ever addresses the following, but I'll put it in spoiler tag, in case it does:

Spoiler
I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed, but I read Jeannette's youngest sister may be schizophrenic.  I had, also, read that because the youngest sister spent the most time alone with their parents -- I guess there is a big age gap between the siblings -- she may have had to endure more emotional damage.  The youngest sister later moved in with Jeanette and her older sister in NYC, but then moved back to be with her parents, only to stab her mother, and be committed to a mental institution for one year.  The article mentioned Jeanette was in contact with her younger sister, but would only say her sister was "fine."  I completely respect and understand Jeannette not sharing more info.  It was alleged that the sister may have been committed to a mental institution again, and residing there permanently. The other siblings "escaped" their family with less damage -- the older sister became an illustrator, and the brother became a policeman. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

No, it wasnt depressing.  But I did get mad, mad at the mom, mad at the Dad.  A friend and my mother read it at the same time.  Everyday we would call each other and rant  and rave.  I had no sympathy for the Mom.  The memoir didnt say, but she had to be madly narcissic or mentally ill.  Her utter disregard for her kids suffering was odd to say the least.  she had a couple redeeming moments, but they were soon lost.

it wasnt depressing.  But it sure makes you think. It turns out pretty well.  The entire book is a life story told, without any judgement or analyzing.  That is hard to do in writing.  Must be the authors journalistic experience taking over. 

I remember reading an article from a few years ago, which mentioned the mother was probably bi-polar.  I think she's still living, and also resides in a cottage on Jeannette's property.  The mother, apparently, was still somewhat living in a disheveled manner in the cottage behind Jeannette's home. 

I don't know if the book or movie ever addresses the following, but I'll put it in spoiler tag, in case it does:

Spoiler
I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed, but I read Jeannette's youngest sister may be schizophrenic.  I had, also, read that because the youngest sister spent the most time alone with their parents -- I guess there is a big age gap between the siblings -- she may have had to endure more emotional damage.  The youngest sister later moved in with Jeanette and her older sister in NYC, but then moved back to be with her parents, only to stab her mother, and be committed to a mental institution for one year.  The article mentioned Jeanette was in contact with her younger sister, but would only say her sister was "fine."  I completely respect and understand Jeannette not sharing more info.  It was alleged that the sister may have been committed to a mental institution again, and residing there permanently. The other siblings "escaped" their family with less damage -- the older sister became an illustrator, and the brother became a policeman. 

Shoekitty said

i think the statements in the spoiler are entirely correct.  Jeannette and her sister both regret not taking Laurie with them .  But, I am sure they did what they could do.  Those kids made an amazing journey.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty@I like celery@lulu2@icezeus@AngelPuppy1

Just saw this movie yesterday; have not read the book.

The movie was totally engrossing for me.

My prediction is that the main stars will all be nominated for awards. The acting was that good,

It was gut-wrenching, and in some places hard to watch.

@I like celery ‘S spoiler states this better than I ever could... I agree with everything written here.

This movie wore me out!

I hope to see more of the young girl actor who played the young Jeanette.

How do children from these circumstances ever survive? ....it was a miracle.

ITA... the mom was mentally ill... it stands to reason that the youngest sister suffered severe damage.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

I read the book several years ago and really liked it.  I watched the movie last week and thought it was "OK"  but I don't think the movie captured the book.  I also agree that the child actors were very good,  the adult children were not as good.

Honored Contributor

The movie is good if you have not read the book, IMO.  Others think the movie was good, book as good.

There is so much left out in the movie, for those that have read the book...I missed certain things.  I think too much attention was paid to the father.  The father was an integral part of the story for sure, but the mothers enabling and her oblivious attitude regarding her kids was gut wrenching to me.  Especially when the kids were starving and eating lard, and then they found their mom eating chocolate and food under the covers.  When the kids asked for some she explained She was hungry.  If I remember they kids just took it.  For me the mom should have been given a larger role.  She was a piece of work, and imo responsible for much of the misery her kids suffered.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I both read the book several times (definitely an all time favorite).  I would have emphasized different things (like falling out of the moving van) had I written the scrernplay , but it was ok.  Woody Harrelson will definitely get a Best Actor  nomination but he'll have a lot of competition to win the award (I understand Daniel Day Lewis is great in his final movie, which opens Dec 25).

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

I own the CD of the book, read by the author herself.  It really is a favorite of mine.  My daughters borrow it every year or so to listen to again as well!!   We all have admitted to yelling at the characters out loud in the car.  We laugh, as we must look like crazy people..  The story IS exhausting. Very exhausting.  I was an emotional dishrag after reading the book for the first time.  

Anyone, who is interested, buy the CD!!!  It was cheaper before the movie, but maye price has gone down

what amazes me it the author Jeanette Walls, wrote  and reads her story as a true journalist.  She tells the story with facts, without her emotional asides.  We are left to deside for ourselves .  Although I think all will agree the Mom and Dad in this story are about as neglectful as they come.  Both of them really dont think they are bad parents, omg.  Thats what angers us when we read.  They are truely neglectful, selfish, humans with deep emotional demons.