Honored Contributor

The Glass Castle, the movie

[ Edited ]

This was one of of my all time favorite books.  I have the audio cd, read by the author as well as the book.  I listen to the cd at least every year!

i am not sure I want to see the movie.  The reviews are not so good from those who have read the book.  

A family member is in the business and gets te trade rag, like Variety, etc.  the reviews were bad, not for acting , but for screenplay. The performances are great, it just they say the story strays from the movie .  The movie practically leaves out the mom, co dependant And enabler of the century.  Has anyone seen this movie?  

Honored Contributor

Re: The Glass Castle, the movie

@shoekitty wrote:

This was one of of my all time favorite books.  I have the audio cd, read by the author as well as the book.  I listen to the cd at least every year!

i am not sure I want to see the movie.  The reviews are not so good from those who have read the book.  The movie practically leaves out the mom, co dependant And enabler of the century.  Has anyone seen this movie?  

I saw before I read the reviews.  AWFUL (it seemed as though it would never end)

Honored Contributor

Did you read the book?  I heard woodys performance as the dad was good, but he ate up the scenery.  Also, in the movie the story centered around him...which wasnt my take.  Why oh why?

another favorite book of mine is The Help.  Although the movie could never cover the book, (as it was long and too detailed, with many plots). The movie The Help still  stayed true to the characters,and the story in general.  I have the unabridged book on tape, and it is 19 hours long read exactly as written.  By the way, octavia Spencer reads the role of Minnie in the audio book.  The reading is the best I ever listened to.  It won many audio awards as well!!

Contributor

I read the book years ago and loved it as well as everything else she wrote. I saw the movie last week and adored it. If it wasn't perfectly true to the book, I wouldn't have noticed...I went in to see a wonderful story and it delivers. I found it beautifully done...I was totally drawn in. Woody Harrelson was outstanding as the father. I did find the younger Jeannette more interesting than the adult Jeannette. See the movie. Don't leave when the credits begin as there are lots of original photos and videos of the family. I admit, I am not a movie critic, but I know good entertainment.

Respected Contributor

I remember when the memoir first came out, I read an excerpt from a magazine, but I was afraid I might find the entire book depressing.  I've only heard/read good things about the book, though.

@shoekitty Did you find any of the memoir to be depressing?  I have a ton of respect for the author, and her amazing change of circumstances.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

No, it wasnt depressing.  But I did get mad, mad at the mom, mad at the Dad.  A friend and my mother read it at the same time.  Everyday we would call each other and rant  and rave.  I had no sympathy for the Mom.  The memoir didnt say, but she had to be madly narcissic or mentally ill.  Her utter disregard for her kids suffering was odd to say the least.  she had a couple redeeming moments, but they were soon lost.

it wasnt depressing.  But it sure makes you think. It turns out pretty well.  The entire book is a life story told, without any judgement or analyzing.  That is hard to do in writing.  Must be the authors journalistic experience taking over. 

Respected Contributor

I saw the movie yesterday. I thought it was very well-done, but I don't understand why the father ate up so much of the screen time. The mother was also emotionally abusive to her children.

I agree that the child playing Walls was superior to the adult Walls.

But I wish that the scenes with the father could have been severely cut back, allowing more details of the book (Jeannette's often miserable school experiences, for example) to be shown.

The end credits--with the original family photos--were priceless!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

i am not sure I want to see the movie.  The reviews are not so good from those who have read the book.  

A family member is in the business and gets te trade rag, like Variety, etc.  the reviews were bad, not for acting , but for screenplay. The performances are great, it just they say the story strays from the movie .  The movie practically leaves out the mom, co dependant And enabler of the century.  Has anyone seen this movie?  

I just bought the book because a friend of mine enjoyed the book so much, however she was not impressed with the movie.  I did hear that some of the book was changed.  Anyway I will read the book and forget about the movie.  I hate it when the movie cannot stick with the book.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty, The Glass Castle and The Help are two of my fav books as well. I haven't seen The Glass Castle movie, but it sure sounds disappointing and that is just sad.

I don't understand why they would have the movie stray from the book, when the book did so well.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

I just bought the book because a friend of mine enjoyed the book so much, however she was not impressed with the movie.  I did hear that some of the book was changed.  Anyway I will read the book and forget about the movie.  I hate it when the movie cannot stick with the book.

Shoekitty said,

yellow,

If you get a chance, and want an adventure in listening..get the CD.  It is unabridged, and read by the author.  It is great!  The book can be a quick read, as it is so interesting and simply written.  One of my granddaughters was 13, the other 18 when they read it.  They still remember it today.  In fact the oldest granddaughter just bought it to read again.