Honored Contributor

The Girl With Something Extra - Useless Trivia :-)

[ Edited ]

Good Morning, Decades TV is having a Sally Field series binge this weekend.  It started yesterday with The Flying Nun and then transitioned to The Girl with Something Special (starring Sally Field and John Davidson).  The series binge will round out with Gidget.

Anyway, back to The Girl with Something Special Woman Happy  I was watching the show while sipping my morning coffee.  Aside from thinking, yea I see why this series failed to find an audience, I couldn't shake the feeling of familiarity with actor who played Jerry Burton (the brother of John Davidson's character John).

Jerry Burton was played by Jack Sheldon.  Jack Sheldon voiced Schoolhouse Rock's "I'm Just a Bill"  and "Conjunction Junction".

The Girl with Something Extra (1973)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: The Girl With Something Special - Useless Trivia :-)

Look how young Teri Garr is in the pic.

Respected Contributor

LOVE Teri Garr!

Honored Contributor

Edited the original post to correct the name of the series.  It was the Girl with Something Extra, not the Girl with Something Special.  This is what happens when you sing Conjunction Junction and try to type at the same time Woman Embarassed

Respected Contributor

Re: The Girl With Something Extra - Useless Trivia :-)

@Bird mama  Here's some more trivia from that show.  You have the pic of Jack Sheldon with Terri Garr, looked him up, besides acting he was a musician, played the trumpet on the song "The Shadow of Your Smile", and was also the side kick and trumpet player on the Merv Griffin show.  

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123   I remember Merv Griffin.  Sadly I was young and didn't pay attention to the side kicks or band members.

Honored Contributor

I watched a couple of episodes of The Girl With Something Extra today on Decades.  I'd never heard of the series before, but it lasted only one season, 1973-74.  I don't know how good it was but it was nice to see Sally Field and John Davidson.

Coincidentally, a week or two ago, I heard an interview that Terry Gross (Fresh Air) had with Jack Sheldon and others from Schoolhouse Rock.  It was recorded in 1993 and Jack's part of the interview starts at 25:50.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/10/1155946858/fresh-air-celebrates-the-50th-anniversary-of-schoolhouse-r...