Honored Contributor

I am also enjoying The Gilded Age.  Masterpiece Theater has had some excellent period series which I have always enjoy and is well acted.  

I have read books about the Vanderbilts, Astors, and other very wealthy families of the time.  These people were ruthless in gaining their wealth and dysfunctional in some ways.  In a nutshell these families accumulated wealth by often stepping and using others.

The Gilded Age is a good story about the rich, status and their character.  There are some soap opera elements which pop out but keeps the viewer interested.  It is well done and the settings and costumes elegant.  No predictions from me but those offered by other posters interesting.

Regular Contributor

Re: The Gilded Age future?

[ Edited ]

I thoroughly enjoyed the season finale last night.  Resolutions to some questions, and some good cliff hangers to come back to season 2 for.  I can't help but cheer for Mrs. Russell - she won out in the end.  All her persistance and tenacity certainly paid off and she got the last laugh.

Glad to see Peggy and her mother joining forces to deal with the Dad / Husband.  He is way too controlling and what he did that was revealed last night was just deplorable.

Was surprised and saddened with what Marion went through as well.  I didn't see that coming, although beastielove pegged Mr. Raikes as being insincere and I should have.

Tried to comment without revealing anything to spoil it for those who might not have seen it yet.

Now the long wait for season 2.

Honored Contributor

@bayflwc wrote:

Was surprised and saddened with what Marion went through as well.  I didn't see that coming, although beastielove pegged Mr. Raikes as being insincere and I should have.

@bayflwc   As did Marion's aunt, the upper crust one.  She saw right through him from the very beginning-the 1st time she met him.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I tried looking it up by reading & viewing past episods but could not find an answer.........

Spoiler

Was it ever revealed if Peggy's husband is dead or did he abandon her after their baby died?

Also, what was the husband's occupation for Peggy's father to hate him so much?

If none of the above (Spoiler) was ever mentioned, perhaps it will be explained in season 2.

Regular Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I tried looking it up by reading & viewing past episods but could not find an answer.........

Spoiler

Was it ever revealed if Peggy's husband is dead or did he abandon her after their baby died?

Also, what was the husband's occupation for Peggy's father to hate him so much?

If none of the above (Spoiler) was ever mentioned, perhaps it will be explained in season 2.

@Mz iMac  When Peggy was telling Marion about her husband and baby she said that when her father came and got her he had her husband sign a paper saying that he was already married.  Her father then took the paper to a judge and had her marriage annulled.  She had not seen or heard from him since.  Her father had decided that he was not good enough for her.

You are also right, Aunt Agnes had Mr. Raikes' number from the get go.  She knew he was a charletan!  I kind of thought that her dislike for him was just in line of her dislike for everything  in general, but she is turning out to be one of the more interesting characters in the series.  I"m also starting to really appreciate Mrs. Russel's hutzpah too.  And for some reason I really like Mr. Russell - especially when he put Turner in her place when she let herself into his bedroom and tried to bed him.

Honored Contributor

@bayflwc  ThankYou-smiley.gifThankYou-smiley.giffor clearing up things regarding Peggy.  Been bugging me all night & day.

My favorite characters have always been the Russles, especially Mrs Russle.  I firmly believe in season 2 their son will be "wooing" Marion & Aunt Agnes will faint.gifcause she will then have to "make nice" to the Russles.

Wait till she finds out her son is gay-->pearl clutcher faint.gif

Love the "ying & yang" aunts.

Respected Contributor

What a great ending! I know Marian was heartbroken when she found out what a louse Mr. Raikes is but better now than if she married him.  I was on pins and needles hoping she would find out in time.  I like the Russel's son and I would like to see him and Marian as a couple.  Poor Gladys, but maybe Oscar's boyfriend will somehow get word to the Russel's that he is gay as he seems to be really possessive and jealous if Oscar wins her over.  I think Gladys will develop into a strong and independent woman.  Cannot wait until season 2!  And that ball - spectacular!

Respected Contributor

I was surprised to find out that Marion is Meryl Streep's real life daughter.   

Esteemed Contributor
We love this series and( in large part) based on real situations, sometimes with names changed. Based on real history, I'm afraid that the debutant may marry the homosexual, and live to regret it.
Respected Contributor

i read there will be a season 2. I didn't know that, but may be old news to others.