Esteemed Contributor
I’m enjoying the show too. I too really hate that maid, although I’m sure the husband will end up sleeping with her. But, I really don’t know what role she is supposed to be playing in the household. I know she was supposed to have worked with old money, but then she doesn’t comment on the place settings (like the other butler did about the European setting) or seem to offer any other kind of advice. I also liked the red dress, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that would have been seen as garish.

It does make me Google LOL
Respected Contributor

I felt the acting was very stilted the first episode or two with really no characters that I liked.  But I now feel like it has come into its own, which sometimes happens.  I really like it!

Regular Contributor

@Alter Ego

The maid is a "ladies maid" meaning her responsibilities are only to the lady.  She is in charge of her clothing, makeup, hair, etc.  both dressing and undressing.  Much like Anna in Downton Abbey.

Honored Contributor

I love it too.  It's been renewed for a second season. 

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
I’m enjoying the show too. I too really hate that maid, although I’m sure the husband will end up sleeping with her. But, I really don’t know what role she is supposed to be playing in the household. I know she was supposed to have worked with old money, but then she doesn’t comment on the place settings (like the other butler did about the European setting) or seem to offer any other kind of advice. I also liked the red dress, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that would have been seen as garish.

It does make me Google LOL

She's a "lady's maid".  Wealthy women had their own maids to do their hair, dress them in all those layers of clothes, take care of the clothes, and accompany them when required.