Respected Contributor

I just heard on ABC's Action news that Jerry Blavat has passed away at the age of 82. Philadelphia's long time, best known DJ. RIP, Jerry.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Geator with the Heater

He was a Philadelphia treasure.  Very sorry to hear that he died.  RIP.

Honored Contributor

How sad!  He was a Philadelphia legend!  I can remember when I was a kid in the 1960s he had a show that I used to listen to and I remember a show on TV.  

Super Contributor

🙏🏻

A man who knew the music and kept going.  We older ones called him the die hard bunny.  In my teens he appeared at many high school dances in the South Jersey and Philly high schools.  Always got the crowds dancing.  Found a way to keep it alive during the summers too.  Just like a summer reading list!  Good memories of The Geator and Hy Lit.  🕺

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A lifetime of positive energy. Here's an interview Jerry did last year that everyone will enjoy:

NewJerseyStage dot com

Search Jerry Blavat  6/6/2022 interview

Contributor

I saw Jerry Blavat in april;...He was performing at our 55 and over community..It was a fun night...He spoke about his life....I have pictures of him on my phone......will keep it as a memory

Honored Contributor

I must say that man packed alot into his day. 

He always seemed to be appearing down the shore or on the radio or at some event. He even had parties at a local Hotel a few years ago.

Sorry his ride is over but glad he did what he wanted to do, for as many years as he did. 

Honored Contributor

@Neetgal2 wrote:

🙏🏻

A man who knew the music and kept going.  We older ones called him the die hard bunny.  In my teens he appeared at many high school dances in the South Jersey and Philly high schools.  Always got the crowds dancing.  Found a way to keep it alive during the summers too.  Just like a summer reading list!  Good memories of The Geator and Hy Lit.  🕺

@Neetgal2  I remember Hy Lit too!  I have a small old 45 record collection in a case from way back and saved a lot of items from that era.  I had gotten Hy Lit's autograph from some event that I attended back in the 60s. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Neetgal2 wrote:

🙏🏻

@Neetgal2  I remember Hy Lit too!  I have a small old 45 record collection in a case from way back and saved a lot of items from that era.  I had gotten Hy Lit's autograph from some event that I attended back in the 60s. Smiley Happy

My girlfriend that lived one house down from our house had Hy Lit at her Bat Mitzfvah. He really got the party going.

Trusted Contributor

So sorry to hear he has passed. It seems that this was sudden as he had been making appearances recently, like at the Philly Thanksgiving day parade. 

I had the pleasure of meeting him several times through the years, as early as in my teens at the Memories in Margate club. He was a legend and will be missed. RIP Jerry. Keep on rockin'.