Honored Contributor

Watched the film last night. DH just LOVED it. I am such a big Michael Keaton fan. He did a super job. 

Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

Watched the film last night. DH just LOVED it. I am such a big Michael Keaton fan. He did a super job. 

@Group 5 minus 1  Much to my surprise (having read the lukewarm reviews of it) I loved this film!  It held my interest throughout and Keaton, as always, was excellent.  It was rather a fun film, even if Keaton wasn't the most ethical person around, and the acting by all the main actors (him and the "McDonald brothers" was excellent.  I also think that one reason I enjoyed this film so much was I remember when our city got its first McDonald's.  In other words, I was around for the rise of fast food, and remember before the rise of fast food, so I thought the film was extremely interesting and also brought back a lot of memories, including all the fashions and other period pieces. I recommended this film to a lot of people!

Valued Contributor

I watched it a few weeks ago and had the same reaction.  It was very good and held my attention.

Trusted Contributor

I watched this and it changed my attitude about Ray Kroc and not in a positve way.

Trusted Contributor

thanx for this post and everyone's opinion about it. it's on my movie list. i guess i'll watch it next. 

Respected Contributor

We really enjoyed this one also (:

Respected Contributor

I thought The Founder was a good movie.  I grew up in Glenview, IL the home of the second McDonald's.  I remember when the first one opened in DesPlaines, IL.  They were both instant hits.

Honored Contributor

I just mentioned the early days of fast food in the Community Chat forum under a Wendy's thread, so I'm commenting here again (I don't remember having posted my post above) how fun this film was to see the early days of the fast food industry, which I remember.  I highly recommend this film. 

Respected Contributor
*sigh* gawd bless these people whose opinions of Ray Kroc were changed....by a movie.

We have the DVD of "The Founder," and it's a great movie with wonderful performances. I can't recommend it enouhh. But I've also read two biographies of Ray Kroc, as well as his autobiography, and that's where you get the truth.

Kroc backed out of that handshake deal, but the McDonald bros led him to believe their original restaurant was part of Kroc's acquisition; it wasn't. Also, they never told him that they'd sold the rights to their name to an ice cream company, which Kroc found out made their deal worthless--until Kroc was forced to spend what was a lot of money at the time, buying out the ice cream company's owners.

The McDonald brothers founded the concept. But they didn't have the VISION. Kroc had that, and founded what is McDonald's today. He realized, unlike the brothers, that you have to give up a certain amount of control to profitably franchise.

There's Hollywood, and then there's history.

What worries you masters you.