Respected Contributor

I always want to see if a movie is as bad as people think, and usually agree , i just don't know if i could stay awake for this one. I watched The Wife a few nights ago and enjoyed the acting , but even that one i was glad when it was over.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The Favourite

[ Edited ]

I agree, for me "The Wife" is the movie that almost put me to sleep, even

though the acting was supberb and I'm a big fan of Glenn Close.

Once I realized the humor of this film early on  I really enjoyed it.

Valued Contributor

I watched this last night, and what surprised me the most was the lack of humor. The commercials for the film made it seem like it was a witty, farcical period piece, but it was much darker and depressing than I was expecting. I definitely laughed at times, but overall, I felt anxiety more than anything and sympathy for Anne.

Aside from it not meeting my expectations in terms of comedy, I did think it was an excellent film. What I took away the most was that Olivia Colman absolutely deserved the Oscar. I enjoyed both Gaga and Close’s performances, but for me, Colman’s performance was superior. Her ability to be just as effective when screaming at the top of her lungs as when she is completely silent and telling a story with her eyes really won me over. The best was the scene where she’s watching the court members dancing and the camera slowly closes in on her face. Without saying a word, you witness a range of emotions beginning with her recalling the happiness of her youth which melts into wistfulness, then sadness, then bitterness, then finally to blind rage. She was wonderful. 

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I always want to see if a movie is as bad as people think, and usually agree , i just don't know if i could stay awake for this one. I watched The Wife a few nights ago and enjoyed the acting , but even that one i was glad when it was over.

Well this is disappointing, I was looking forward to seeing this. I'm still going to give it a try.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 ,

Totally agrée with you, tried to watch it on a plane and could not stand it. Then moved to Bohemian Raphsody and loved it🌻

Honored Contributor

I may not always be the smartest person in the room, but I'm not stupid either. I often wonder when critics rave about a movie, that it must be me I feel like I'm not getting it. Maybe this movie was too artsy fartsy for me!

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I may not always be the smartest person in the room, but I'm not stupid either. I often wonder when critics rave about a movie, that it must be me I feel like I'm not getting it. Maybe this movie was too artsy fartsy for me!

@Jordan2  I think movies like this kind of take us by surprise sometimes, especially when you expect it to be something it’s not. If you were told a few things before watching it, you may have enjoyed it more. For example, the director is known for making art films and is often a little wacky in his choices. The script was written in 1998 and was very much influenced by what was happening politically with a certain guy in power, his wife, and a certain gal with a blue dress. The movie is a bit of a commentary about political imbalance of power under the same roof and how sex and greed corrupts and makes us make decisions which are against our best interests. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched The Favourite the other night, and I don't know if I liked it or not, parts of it to me were funny, parts were sad, and parts were crazy..I guess I liked it for being so different! 

I also liked The Wife, but it was slower and there were times when I was watching it that I thought ok Come on Move along, but I ended really liking it and thought that Glenn Close was superb, as was Olivia Colman.

I don't know that is a hard choice for me to decide who better deserved that Oscar......I am a huge Glenn Close fan, and felt she was superb in that role, but Olivia Colman was really good as well......

I also watched Fatal Attraction a few days ago-hadn't seen it for a long time, and boy oh boy was Glenn Close so good in that role-she should have won an Oscar for sure for that role......

Trusted Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I watched The Favourite the other night, and I don't know if I liked it or not, parts of it to me were funny, parts were sad, and parts were crazy..I guess I liked it for being so different! 

I also liked The Wife, but it was slower and there were times when I was watching it that I thought ok Come on Move along, but I ended really liking it and thought that Glenn Close was superb, as was Olivia Colman.

I don't know that is a hard choice for me to decide who better deserved that Oscar......I am a huge Glenn Close fan, and felt she was superb in that role, but Olivia Colman was really good as well......

I also watched Fatal Attraction a few days ago-hadn't seen it for a long time, and boy oh boy was Glenn Close so good in that role-she should have won an Oscar for sure for that role......

"The Favourite" was Film Noir and I liked it - I know many did not.    

For me Glenn Close deserved the oscar for "The Wife" even though it was a slow moving one.  Too bad, she really deserved it on this one.  I was so surprised that she didn't!  Oh well, that's Hollywood, very dissapointing.  This could be the best role she's played and don't know if anything else will be offered like that to her again. sigh....