Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'll never forget what she looked like on the Larry King Show.

Ye gads ! I would had never let myself be on TV. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The Eyes of Tammy Faye

[ Edited ]

A friends mother who was brainwashed by the Bakers sent them regular checks (for many years) for substantial amounts of money.

Her Mother would go without buying food and paying bills because she believed so faithfully in the Bakers. Her 2 married children (with their own families) paid for her home bills and food. They tried to get her help but it was her wishes. DR's said she was of sound mind but addicted to the attention they gave her when watching TV) (my opinion really brainwashed).

Long story short when she died her Will stated that everything she owned be sold and the money be donated to the Bakers.

The Family went to court but because she had so many checks written to The Bakers for numerous years and she was a devoted follower (checks proof of that) the Judge said everything had to go to The Bakers. 

It was in the 80's or early 90's. I couldn't believe it was happening but it was true. 

I have no respect for them.

This true story would make a better Movie IMO....I am sure there are countless people who did just what my friends Mom did...unfortunately. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

https://people.com/movies/tammy-faye-messner-daughter-was-not-happy-the-eyes-of-tammy-faye-film/

I read a tweet from the daughter herself saying how thrilled she was about her song being in the film.

Honored Contributor
I had some empathy for her in her later years.
HE continues to be a total sleezeball.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I had some empathy for her in her later years.
HE continues to be a total sleezeball.

I agree. I don't think her harshest critics ever denied that she was a loving, devoted woman, and the culture in which she was living would certainly have expected her to "stand by her man", to the exclusion of any personal reservations about where the money was coming from, why it was being sent, and how it was being used. 

The concept of "prosperity faith" isn't something I've ever studied so maybe she was thinking that her husband was just so wonderful that all good things were coming to him (and her) by faith.

He ultimately proved publicly where he was coming from. It was harder to read her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I love stories that deal w/cons and/or scams.  I'll be watching.

I wonder if they will show their dog's air conditioned dog house?

There was a really good program on one of the news channels a week or two ago containing actual clips of the original shows, and candids of Bakker's ups and downs and downs and downs, and the videos of the air conditioned dog house are in that.

When I was a new mother, I experienced a painful tragedy, and the show became a part of my days as I took care of my baby.

The cajoling for donations was constant throughout the show, and one day I wrote a check for $5 and sent it. Not too long after I received an effusive mass produced "personal Thank You" for my $100 donation.

I assumed even at the time that there was some kind of smoke and mirrors having to do with the donation process, and that was around the time that Isort of wised up and stopped watching.

Because I'd watched so faithfully previously, it became sort of obvious as the news began to pile up, that the Bakkers were preachers/entertainers/zealots/exploiters/manipulators/....... yet, there was a sense of some sort of honesty in her outspoken love of makeup, jewelry, flashy fashion, and he was, in fact, a gifted speaker both when interpreting scripture AND when grifting to support their outrageous lifestyle.

I never knew while watching, on the day they took him away crying what looked like real tears, whether any of it or some of it or none of it, was real. 

And I still don't.

There was somone on another tv ministry channel that cried all the time too, and finally revealed she was deeply depressed.

Trusted Contributor

There was a reality-type show also called "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" that was on a cable channel a number of years ago.  A camera crew followed her, and she told her side of the story.  I found it very interesting.  

I also saw a made-for-TV movie biography of her, also very interesting.  Their son also had a 6-part reality series about his family from his point of view. I believe this was on HBO (not sure).  These shows were on just before she died, I think.

I also saw her appearance on Larry King, and I think she died less than 36 hours after she went to a local TV studio for this interview.

I grew to admire how she handled her cancer battle.  She had a bubbly personality and had a lovely singing voice.  I think if she had been in any business other than the religion business, I think she might have ended up on a TV talk show or something.

She certainly didn't fit my idea of a preacher or a preacher's wife.  But she was no worse than any other TV evangelist, IMO.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recall there was another televangelist's wife who wore a ton of makeup & had big lavender colored hair & looked a bit like Tammy Faye Baker & also had some legal troubles, I think her name was Jan Crouch?

Crouch Family Statement on the Passing of TBN Co-Founder Jan Crouch | TBN

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I recall there was another televangelist's wife who wore a ton of makeup & had big lavender colored hair & looked a bit like Tammy Faye Baker & also had some legal troubles, I think her name was Jan Crouch?

In 1973, Paul and Jan Crouch co-founded Trinity Broadcast Network with Jim and Tammy Baker.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I'll pass on this trash.  Why would I pay money to see a film about 2 shysters using religion to scam gullible people out of their hard earned money. No thanks.