Trusted Contributor

Did anyone else catch the season 2 debut last night?  I thought it was really good, and they set everything up nicely for a really scary season.  

We were introduced to two story lines that included Fathers Thomas and Marcus helping a young possessed woman in Montana whose husband and friends aren't too keen on the idea of an exorcism, and another storyline taking place in a big, beautiful old home on a remote island off the coast of Washington state.  There lives Andrew, played by John Cho, who has 5 foster children living with him.  We meet a rebellious teenage girl, a teenage boy on the autism spectrum, a devout Christian teenage boy, a blind teenage boy, and a painfully shy little girl.  When a social worker (who seems to have a romantic past with Andrew) arrives for a routine check on the kids and their living situation, things start to get spooky.  

I spotted a few homages paid to some horror films in this episode including The Ring, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, and The Blair Witch Project.  I think that the first story line in Montana will be wrapped up soon, and the second one featuring the foster home will become the central focus of this season.  It's worth checking out.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies I DVR'd it.  I didn't know there was a season 1?  How did I miss that?  I haven't watched it yet.  Should I go back and watch season 1 or will I be able to pick it up from Season 2?

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 This season is a whole new storyline, but the two main characters have back stories from season one that would be helpful for you to know to fully understand and appreciate the second season.  Season one is fantastic and absolutely terrifying.  It’s the scariest tv show I’ve ever seen, and I highly recommend it.

Honored Contributor

I loved Season 1 and was hoping like crazy that despite awful ratings they'd bring it back. That said, I wasn't wowed by the Season 2 kick-off... It's hard to convey why but it just seemed a little too 'pat' and predictable. Maybe too much homage paid to formulaic horror movies. The whole island of misfit kids thing dosn't resonate with me at all, either. I'll continue to watch and see, but I guess I'd hoped for a different direction than the one they chose...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I really am glad it's back also. There isn't much straight up horror on tv and this is pretty good to fill the void. I definitely like a good scare on a Friday night,but that night is the kiss of death for shows. I hope the stories build. I really like the priest's struggles and how they play off of each other's strengths and weaknesses. 

Honored Contributor

Agree about the priests. They made the show last year, along with the nuns, the weird Chicago power brokers all aiming to become demons, and the papal visit... I guess I sort of miss that vibe. The whole remote island thing along with the small town in the middle of nowhere thing, while spooky, doesn't provide me with the same level of spine tingling...

Woman Wink

Still, as noted, I'll keep watching just to see how things unfold...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

You guys are brave! The original Exorcist movie scared the bejesus out of me when it came out in 1973 because I was 16 and Catholic and going to Catholic school😱. I slept with the lights on for two weeks as my very Catholic mother told me I must have a lot of sins to be so scared!!

I tried to watch season 1 of the tv show and the further it went on the scarier it got and I got spooked again. It is true that it's the scariest thing on tv. Mind you my young adult children laughed their a**es off at the original movie, but of course those of us who grew up in the late 60s and 70s never saw anything like that. Enjoy the show guys!

Trusted Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

You guys are brave! The original Exorcist movie scared the bejesus out of me when it came out in 1973 because I was 16 and Catholic and going to Catholic school😱. I slept with the lights on for two weeks as my very Catholic mother told me I must have a lot of sins to be so scared!!

I tried to watch season 1 of the tv show and the further it went on the scarier it got and I got spooked again. It is true that it's the scariest thing on tv. Mind you my young adult children laughed their a**es off at the original movie, but of course those of us who grew up in the late 60s and 70s never saw anything like that. Enjoy the show guys!

@bmorechick You’re right, last season did get scarier as it went on.  I was terrified watching the last couple episodes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick, me too, including going to school at a convent.  Not sure I want a repeat!  LM

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Agree about the priests. They made the show last year, along with the nuns, the weird Chicago power brokers all aiming to become demons, and the papal visit... I guess I sort of miss that vibe. The whole remote island thing along with the small town in the middle of nowhere thing, while spooky, doesn't provide me with the same level of spine tingling...

Woman Wink

Still, as noted, I'll keep watching just to see how things unfold...

Yes, I want to know what's happening in Chicago with the demons ect. Maybe we'll get some in later episodes. Although given that it's months later now and the Papal visit already happened, I'm not exactly sure where they'd go with it and clearly Chicago wouldn't be the only place that demons are influencing church matters. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval