Honored Contributor

Re: The Dr. Phil show yesterday and today

It's interesting (so many arm chair psychiatrists).  Had Dr. Phil been a REAL Dr who was interested in helping ALL of these people he wouldn't have had them on his show but would have sought help for them from someone who was REALLY trained in this kind of problem.

Instead, he seems content on raising his ratings.  I will admit I've watched parts of his shows before but each time I find myself questioning my motives.

Do I watch these shows because I'm thinking, "There but for the grace of GOD go I"?  Hummmm???

Respected Contributor

First let me say I can't believe I watched both episodes. My uninformed opinion is that the mother has something like Munchousen by proxy, where the parent gains attention off the illness of a child. The mom is the one who contacted Dr. Phil and was seeking vindication of all her accusations. The grandmother was a waste who never saw anything and left the responsibility on her daughter wnen push came to shove.

I actually felt sorry for the father (and I never sympathize with the male) because he was really hurt and outraged at the accusations being thrown at him with no proof. Neither of the women were even able to briefly entertain the possibility that he was innocent. I could understand his frustration.

Mom and grandma seemed to resent whatever financial success the father has by repeating bringing up his Armani suits and BMW. I did not hear him denigrate their way of life at all.

I believe the child belongs with the Dad until the Mom sorts out her issues and is able to truly coparent.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I watched the first show, then seeing it was a 2-parter, I missed the second show. I really wanted to see the outcome, but reading everyone's response, I have to say I totally agree. 

I started out with an open mind to this issue, but by the end of the first show, I was sure the mother was a mental case. Geesh, she alleged abuse and the dr. said it was diaper rash! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, as the grandmother was a grand-standing, loud-mouthed ignorant woman.

Most of all, I feel really sorry for the little girl being raised in this manner. I hope the father pursues legal action for custody after this show. What better evidence for court than a tape of the show!

Esteemed Contributor

@mollypup He also pushes his son, Jay's website, Dr. on Demand on his show all the time. Guess it's free advertising for Robin & Jay. Nothing like a little nepotism. 

Respected Contributor

I think when a person wrongly accuses someone of rape, they should be prosecuted!  Once a person has been accused, it pretty much ruins their lives!

Respected Contributor

Help me out here:  I was really confused/bothered by the videos of the little girl where portions of her speech about what her father had allegedly done to her was "bleeped". 

Since they they openly used the word "pee-pee" on the show, what other words could a 2-1/2 to 3 yr. old use that needed to be "bleeped"??? 

Any terms more vulgar/"adult" would have to be overheard or "coached".

I wish this child could be removed from all three of these angry, disfunctional adults...

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

@mollypup He also pushes his son, Jay's website, Dr. on Demand on his show all the time. Guess it's free advertising for Robin & Jay. Nothing like a little nepotism. 

His son Jay also is the producer of the Daytime show The Doctors. I think he wrote the latest book with Dr. Phil.

Surely there must be something he can garner up for his son Jordan, the musician.