Honored Contributor

I don't know if this was already discussed but season 2 starts tonight at 9:00 on HBO. I was at the doctor's office, the tv was on and Maggie Gyllenhaal was on Live With Kelly And Ryan. I couldn't hear that well but I think Maggie said the show fast forwards about 6 years or so and Candy is directing adult films

Respected Contributor

I've been seeing the previews, and looking forward to the new season.  I really liked season 1.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Several months ago I wrote to George Pelecanos, who is one of the creators of The Deuce.  Those who are familiar with his work know that he is a well-known crime novelist as well as the creator and writer of the hit TV series The Wire.

His TV and fiction worlds may be filled with society's outliers who try to outwit the law, but he is a fine family man and standup fellow.  He is also kind.  

Believe it or not, he responded to my letter.  Since we had some similar personal experiences in the past that he addressed and added to (and the letter was mailed from his home address), I know he wrote the letter that I received. 

A very helpful and compassionate man.  I cannot write enough good things about him.

Best of luck to him as The Deuce continues!

Honored Contributor

I didn't expect to enjoy this show, but I did.  It was very gritty and raw, sometimes a little too raw for my tastes --- but I think that's really what made it seem more authentic.  I will watch the new season and hope that it's as good or even better. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Several months ago I wrote to George Pelecanos, who is one of the creators of The Deuce.  Those who are familiar with his work know that he is a well-known crime novelist as well as the creator and writer of the hit TV series The Wire.

His TV and fiction worlds may be filled with society's outliers who try to outwit the law, but he is a fine family man and standup fellow.  He is also kind.  

Believe it or not, he responded to my letter.  Since we had some similar personal experiences in the past that he addressed and added to (and the letter was mailed from his home address), I know he wrote the letter that I received. 

A very helpful and compassionate man.  I cannot write enough good things about him.

Best of luck to him as The Deuce continues!

@golding76

I am not familiar with this gentlemen but that is really wonderful! He wrote an actual letter?  If so, I am really impressed.  That's not something that happens every day.  

Honored Contributor

AngelPuppy,

Truly, I was floored when the letter arrived.  Even though I secretly hoped my letter to him would tap into something within him, I also secretly feared he would ignore it. 

What was really delicious was that he addressed the envelope by hand.  Of course, he signed his name in cursive on the typed response to me.

I had caught him at a super-busy time because he was hard at work in NYC on the new season of The Deuce and was coming home to the D.C. area every couple of weeks.  I had the chutzpah to send the letter to his home address as well as his agency's address in California. 

It was fun to read his comments about two people whom we each know.  One of them was a beloved professor who changed each of our lives.

One of my sons said I should frame the letter, and I think I will.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Deuce Season 2

[ Edited ]

AngelPuppy,

I did not want to say it either, but the show is a bit too rough for my taste, too.

His novels, on the other hand, reveal a great talent for dialogue and intrigue.  However, detective novels are not my joy.

So many heralded him for his genius, which was apparent in The Wire.  That show was his artistry almost totally.

I watched several episodes of the first season of The Deuce, and the humanity of the players sucked me in.  I became interested in their stories.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

AngelPuppy,

Truly, I was floored when the letter arrived.  Even though I secretly hoped my letter to him would tap into something within him, I also secretly feared he would ignore it. 

What was really delicious was that he addressed the envelope by hand.  Of course, he signed his name in cursive on the typed response to me.

I had caught him at a super-busy time because he was hard at work in NYC on the new season of The Deuce and was coming home to the D.C. area every couple of weeks.  I had the chutzpah to send the letter to his home address as well as his agency's address in California. 

It was fun to read his comments about two people whom we each know.  One of them was a beloved professor who changed each of our lives.

One of my sons said I should frame the letter, and I think I will.

@golding76

I think that says a lot about him as a person that he would take the time to do that!  

I guess we don't have to agree or even really like exactly what someone does, but we can appreciate the talent and the efforts and dedication they put forth.  I, like you, was put off by the kind of crudeness of some of the aspects of the show, but was also drawn in by the characters and all the dimensions of them and how they played off of one another.  

Thanks for sharing your experience with this.  It was so enjoyable.  

Honored Contributor

Does anyone else think the first season was better than this second one? I’m still watching, but I don’t like the changes the fast forward brought.