Respected Contributor

I just finished binge watching the 4th season of The Crown.   And after seeing how disfunctional, cold and hard they seem to be I could fully understand why Meghan Markle wanted to get the heck out of there and have a normal life.  If this program is even 50% factual - OMG what a horrid group of people.  If did leave me with absolutely no sympathy for Diana and a kind of respect for Carmilla who encouraged Charles to stay with Diana and do the right thing.  All in all, Charles and Carmilla endured all those years and finally were able to marry and seem truly happy and well suited for each other.

Trusted Contributor

I am halfway through season 3 and have very mixed feelings about the royal family after watching it.  I know absolutely nothing about them, have never had any interest in them and only decided to watch the show because of all the talk about it. 

I realize that a lot of it is probably exaggerated, but do find it interesting.  I didn't mind the Queen so much in the first two seasons, but she's much more unlikeable in the third.  Not sure how much of it is just because the actress in the first two seasons was more likeable.  Prince Philip has been really unlikeable since the beginning, he seems like the worst kind of snob.  I did enjoy Princess Margaret in season 2.   So far in season 3 Charles is a sympathetic character.  I haven't seen any episodes yet with Diana.

The main thing it's made me realize is how awful it would be to be born into that family/tradition.   I understand that there are certainly a lot worse ways to grow up, but even with all the privilege it seems like a terrible way to have to live.

Esteemed Contributor

Just imagine the life Harry had!  William the heir, treated differently and trained since birth to be king and Harry just called the spare. George is in training, Charlotte will be OK and poor Louis, where does he fit? 

Trusted Contributor

I don't have netflix but might have to get it just for this series.

Esteemed Contributor

It is worth watching for sure.  The first season I didn't know if I wanted to continue but my daughter encouraged me and I'm glad I did.  I have to say though, I felt for Diana as in real life.  It was a tough road for her and I don't care for Charles at all, seems like he had some serious emotional issues his whole life, way before Diana was in it!

Trusted Contributor

I still feel bad for Meghan Markle.  (crown /no crown) .  so many people have been so extremely nasty towards her.  Only those closet to her know the real story.  I don't believe anything in the press or internet.  Yet people still say and write nasty things about her.  I don't blame either one of them for leaving England.  And thinking of their family first. 

Respected Contributor

I think the whole lot of them were spoiled entitled brats.  Good for Meghan and Harry to have had the guts to break away from this cold dysfunctional family.  I think the whole "royal" thing is outdated, I would be dam--d if I had to bow to anyone.  Ridiculous.  What that country did to so many other countries is a travesty.

Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Just imagine the life Harry had!  William the heir, treated differently and trained since birth to be king and Harry just called the spare. George is in training, Charlotte will be OK and poor Louis, where does he fit? 

I'm curious why you think Charlotte will be okay?  I admit I don't "follow" the royals, but I do keep up to date on a superficial level.  From what I can tell, Charlotte seems quite independent and has a mind of her own.  I get a little concerned when I see the negative posts about Harry and how dare he leave the family and think for himself.  How he should put his child in the spotlight , etc etc. To me, they are pretty much saying that Charlotte better stay in line and just continue to serve (when, maybe, she could better help by making waves.)  Louis is probably the one you don't have to worry about - the Edward of the group.  But, all this is so far in the future and just my opinion about people I don't know personally.