Trusted Contributor

I thought it was odd watching the mine disaster when the Queen finally visits she is wearing the red coat and fur hat.  I looked at a picture of her actual visit and she was wearing that color.  I think again that shows her being out of touch.  I would have thought she would have worn a darker color as a sign of mourning?

Honored Contributor

I am really curious as more of you have a chance to watch Season 3......I'd like to read continued reviews, what you think.

I really liked Season 1 and 2 so, so much. I know I said it before, but I don't care for the actress playing the Queen. I'm good with who plays Charles and Camilla.

Wish I was more enthusiastic with Season 3. Not eager for Season 4, like I was for Season 2 and watching the first first season.

Respected Contributor
World Traveler, you nailed it. I'm seeing this played out just as you said. Still watching for now.
Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler - I'm with you - loved Seasons 1 & 2. Struggling to get through Season 3. And, I really don't care for the cast.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler @riley1 @Brisky , I think the actors portraying Charles and Philip are amazing.  So very believable.  I am getting used to Olivia Colman but don't give her the credit I give the other two.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom I'm okay with Charles and Philip, but I really think Mountbatten and Alice were superior in acting the part. I believed them, if you know what I mean.

Glad you are getting used to Olivia Colman, but I just can't get past the sourpuss face she always has. No wonder the real Queen Elizabeth was said to say that she was unhappy with the new season. Don't know if anyone ever wrote why, but perhaps she is in agreement with me on Olivia's portrayal of her. 

I would like to just skip Season 4 and hopefully see a new crop of people taking over the ever-changing members who are featured in Season 5 and 6.

Perhaps Dame Maggie Smith! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The actor who plays Phillip sounds just like Charles in real life that it throws me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler , 'sourpuss'... right on!  I can imagine HRH is not pleased with this season.  LM

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I just finished episode four. It’s extremely well done again. Definitely took me some adjustment to the new Queen Elizabeth. Overall this older Queen Elizabeth is much less likable in my opinion. More dour. More stuck on protocol above all else. She certainly is not heartless but she’s not a sympathetic character at all to me. And her face is often frozen in that cross between quizzical/confused/disapproving that is incredibly annoying to me. So yes sometimes I really do not like this older version of the queen. 

I recently binge-watched the first two seasons, & enjoyed them very much. Loved Claire Foy as Elizabeth.

I've only seen the first two episodes of Season 3....

Thus far what's been disconcerting to me is the new actress who portrays Elizabeth.

When I look at her, all I can think is that she looks like a cross between Vicki Lawrence and Carol Burnett in the Eunice skits. Smiley Indifferent

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

I have finished Season 3 and didn't care for many of the episodes. Aberfan and Moondust were probably my favorite episodes. I like Tobias Menzies and think he is an excellent actor so I was excited to see him play Prince Phillip. He did a good job but he doesn't have the physical stature to play Prince Phillip. He looked to be roughly the same size as Olivia Coleman. Prince Phillip is much bigger than Queen Elizabeth. I was fine with all the actors except for Olivia Coleman and Helen Bonham Carter. I thought Olivia Coleman looked way too old in the first couple of episodes to play the Queen. She had just given birth in 1964 and looked to be in her 50's. Helen Bonham Carter played Princess Margaret way over the top. She was a bit much in the episodes that featured her exclusively. I am excited about Season 4. I will be more familiar with the timeline and actually remember the events that occurred. I was teenager and young adult in the 70's and 80's.