Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 Did you mean Prince Philip instead of Prince Charles? I must have slept thru any scenes with Prince Charles. In fact, when they were showing several scenes with Princess Anne, I wondered where Charles was in all of this. 

Maybe I just got Prince Philip and Prince Charles mixed up. Or........slept thru it. ha!

I think Princess Alice was fun to watch. 

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler   You haven't gotten to the Charles episode yet.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 Oh, good. ha! I thought I was losing it. Heart

Respected Contributor

I loved the first two seasons. I've only watched the first episode of season three, but here are my first impressions ......

Tobias Menzies seems to be fine as Prince Philip. That's the nicest thing I can say at this point.

I sorely miss Claire Foy as the Queen. She did an outstanding job. I'm having a difficult time with Olivia Colman taking over the role. And Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret? No, no, no!!

Honored Contributor

@lmt Totally agree with you on everything you said.

As to Helena Bonham Carter, I know she is very talented. Have seen her do other things, and I thoroughly enjoyed her. But in The Crown, I do not like how she is playing Princess Margaret. Although I know that Margaret probably did the things they are showing and acted every way but conservatively, I have seen other actresses play Margaret with much, much realism to the role.

I am beginning to think that the reason this all is not meshing well with many of us is because of the way the director has interpreted the events in their own way, bringing a different vision and version to stories about the Royals told so many times before. Perhaps they consider it a fresh way of looking at the story.

But, for me, I am not enjoying it as well. I'll have to check the credits to see if it is the same director, or if the producers are different from the first two seasons.

I will continue to watch until the end of the series, however. 

They better not make a mess of the storyline for Diana and the actress who plays her! ha!

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@lmt Totally agree with you on everything you said.

As to Helena Bonham Carter, I know she is very talented. Have seen her do other things, and I thoroughly enjoyed her. But in The Crown, I do not like how she is playing Princess Margaret. Although I know that Margaret probably did the things they are showing and acted every way but conservatively, I have seen other actresses play Margaret with much, much realism to the role.

I am beginning to think that the reason this all is not meshing well with many of us is because of the way the director has interpreted the events in their own way, bringing a different vision and version to stories about the Royals told so many times before. Perhaps they consider it a fresh way of looking at the story.

But, for me, I am not enjoying it as well. I'll have to check the credits to see if it is the same director, or if the producers are different from the first two seasons.

I will continue to watch until the end of the series, however. 

They better not make a mess of the storyline for Diana and the actress who plays her! ha!

@World Traveler   I checked. All three seasons have several different directors each season.

Respected Contributor

Unless we lived in the UK during this time, it would be difficult to judge what is true and what is fictionalized. It has always been said the Queen was an absentee mother. Over the years she's been both criticized and admired for her stoicism. (She does explain  it in the episode about the Prince of Wales)

I think we are used to seeing Claire Foy play the Queen as a  pretty, young, dewy eyed woman. That  portrayal some found unrealistic.

The person who is in charge of the Firm is unflinching.

We see pictures of this 90 plus year old woman and think she's a sweet, active senior. Age often times mellows people. Remember how she was hated here over Diana's death & funeral? JMO

I finished watching season 3.  Much of the season portrayed less than happy times both for the UK and the Royals.

Honored Contributor

@lmt 

@World Traveler   I checked. All three seasons have several different directors each season.

WOW! That surprises me. There seemed to be such continuity between Season 1 and 2. And a huge disconnect with Season 3.

Thanks for checking on that. Heart

Trusted Contributor

I'm on episode 5 of S3. So far it's fantastic, IMO. 

Honored Contributor

I think season 3 deals with Charles  and his various girlfriends, including a young Camila.  I think Diana appears later in the season.  I liked Foy a lot as the Queen.  Hope I like this new actress