Valued Contributor
I, too, wish they had not changed actors from season to season for Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip. Claire Foy and Matt Smith were excellent in the roles and certainly could have carried through all seasons with skillful makeup.
Honored Contributor

I’ve been catching up on this show.  I’m constantly checking the real facts versus the show.

One thing it definitely shows is the loneliness Queen Elisabeth must have felt.

I think it really made it apparent when Phillip went off to a party with his friend and Elisabeth stayed back.  After all, a queen couldn’t be found partying with the common people ( I wasn’t being snarky...that’s just the way it is).

Some of the back and forth between Queen Elisabeth and Phillip as shown on the TV show never happened simply because he did come from royalty and thereby understood better than most how important some of the rules must be followed as they have for centuries.

Honored Contributor

@This and all the seasons definitely reflects how I have always viewed Queen Elizabeth.

She has a misguided view of to me  what any "sovereign" or political figure should be which is a human being first with compassion and care for the people she or he serves, not loyalty to some outdated and ridiculous rules that mean nothing to anyone but those who are rigidly following them.

Aside from the movie, I think this was acurately portrayed in real life as the Queen's belief that no message of condolence was due to "her subjects" on Diana's death, nor her even awareness of how the English people and the world felt about the "People's Princess." Maybe she felt again that the "crown" does not get involved in this, in a now non-royal's life, just as portrayed in the movie when she said: (paraphrasing). 'The crown visits hospitals, it does not go to accidents, even after hundreds of children tragically died.'

From the people's reaction to her non response at the time of that disaster, you would think she would have learned, years later. 

So many times it seems she wanted to do something, the right something, but was persuaded not to yet with any strength of character, morality or true compassion or empathy, she would have stuck to her views and carried them out!

It all seems ridiculous observances without care for common sense or compassion, love or empathy even for close family members.

I find I am getting disgusted and angry and incredulous all over again with the whole stupidity and "cruelty," (a word used several times by Philip), of it all.

Hopefully the new generation of monarchs will keep the pomp and circumstance, ritual and ridiculous rules to a minimum while doing what they should have always done and that is to serve the people just as every public official with any sense of humanity should.

I wonder if she really said or thought as she did in the series, that she knew something was wrong with her, that there was something missing and that she didn't and couldn't cry so many times.

Or that the prime minister Wilson said that they barely needed humanity to do their jobs. He also talks about lack of emotion miight be a good thing, that no one needs hysteria in a time of crisis. Who said emotion had to mean hysteria!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@lmt I just watched the Charles/Camilla/Death of Windsor episode and have to agree with you. Those people are doing a better job of acting, I think, than the person playing the Queen. I know the Queen is a very serious person when it comes to the Crown and what her job is, but I can't believe she smiled so little, as this actress is portraying her. But that must be the direction the director wants it to go.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler - I agree with you regarding Season 3. I am not caring for the new cast and really don't like the actress that portrays the Queen.

I believe the reason the cast was changed had to do with equal pay (I'm pretty sure that's what I remember) and Claire Foy was doing quite a few big screen movies. I thought she was great as the Queen.

Honored Contributor

The older queen had a lot on her plate from her family and her job.  Like many of us, those are difficult years.  I'm sure it would affect most people.

I think always however, she was very much more human and "real" that you would have thought from her public face.  Especially the relationship with her mother.

I'd LOVE to see a series about the Queen Mother!  

Honored Contributor

I started season 3 last night and saw the first three episodes (have to rewatch the second because I sort of dozed off for a bit.)  Although I love Olivia Colman, I have to agree that I'm not sure about her in this role.  She seems to use one facial expression about 75 percent of the time.  I think she's more dour than the queen is in real life.  However, I've only seen only three episodes so far, so perhaps I may change my mind.

I think Helena Bonham Carter was a good choice for Margaret. but I think the actress who played her previously (younger version) looked more like her.

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I started season 3 last night and saw the first three episodes (have to rewatch the second because I sort of dozed off for a bit.)  Although I love Olivia Colman, I have to agree that I'm not sure about her in this role.  She seems to use one facial expression about 75 percent of the time.  I think she's more dour than the queen is in real life.  However, I've only seen only three episodes so far, so perhaps I may change my mind.

I think Helena Bonham Carter was a good choice for Margaret. but I think the actress who played her previously (younger version) looked more like her.

I agree with you 100%.  I am at the same place you are.  I have watched 3 episodes of season three.  I think Helena is excellent as Princess Margaret.  We haven't seen too much of Prince Phillip this season,  I was dreading the actor because of his role in Outlander,  but with the hair color change I think he is "Ok."  I really liked Olivia in Broadchurch, but I agree,  she doesn't seem like a real person as the Queen.  I think Clair Foy did a great job of making the Princess and Queen seem real.  Olivia doesn't seem to be making her "real."   I do wish they had continued with the original cast for season three and four but that isn't happening.  I guess they have already filmed season 4, maybe it will improve.  I read that they have selected the new actress for the Queen for season 5 and 6.  I only know her from the Downtown Movie,  so we shall see,

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler et al, I haven't read the entire thread but wanted to say I agree...the choice for the Queen is not the best IMO.  This actress (Olivia Colman) played the lead, Queen Anne, in The Favourite and I was surprised to see that win an award.  LM

Respected Contributor

Finished watching all the episodes. I found this season to be kind of slow, but still enjoyable.

My favorite episodes were:

Aberfan. I must confess that I never knew anything about the mining disaster. It was heartbreaking, especially when they showed the avalanche heading towards the village.

Moondust. The royal family watches the moon landing. Prince Philip is obsessed and watches the coverage for hours on end. He has a midlife crisis and feelings of failure. Months later, the astronauts are invited to the palace for a private audience with their biggest fan, who sadly discovers that his 'idols' were just 'three little men' who were just doing their jobs.

Dangling Man. We finally meet Camilla. Queen Elizabeth visits the Duke of Windsor one last time.

Imbroglio. The Queen Mother and Lord Mountbatten scheme to break up Charles and Camilla.

Helena Bonham Carter is a good actress, but I still stand by my original opinion that she was miscast in the role. By the end of this season, I could almost say that Olivia Colman looked a tiny bit like Queen Elizabeth, but Helena Bonham Carter looks nothing like Princess Margaret.