Respected Contributor

Re: The Crown's Claire Foy paid less than male co-star, producers admit

@culebrawrote:

I can see why they would pay the male Dr. Who star more the first season.  They should have adjusted up Claire Foy's salary.  She was the one along with John Lithgow who received all the award bait and fame.

She carried the show.  He was awful as Prince Phillip.  I don’t think I’m going to like Hugh Laurie as Prince Phillip in the new series either. 

Trusted Contributor

She sure did carry the show, she was in practically every scene of 20 hours, and won Golden Globe and Emmy awards!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLoriwrote:

@culebrawrote:

I can see why they would pay the male Dr. Who star more the first season.  They should have adjusted up Claire Foy's salary.  She was the one along with John Lithgow who received all the award bait and fame.

@culebra, disagree.  He will always be the bigger star so he should always make the most money.  Hopefully whoever is playing Phillip in the next phase will have an equal or lesser career.  

@Kachina624, I think this is a slippery slope.  "No one will be paid more than the Queen?"  Maybe the best men won't bother then.

As @stevieb said, this is an industry where experience and the ability to attract an audience matter more than anything else.

@LoriLori. Don't shoot the messenger; I'm just repeating what the show execs said.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Her agent should have gotten her better terms. I don't think this is  a tragedy for her. She is  a world wide known actress after taking this part

Honored Contributor

@LoriLoriwrote:

@Kachina624, I think this is a slippery slope.  "No one will be paid more than the Queen?"  Maybe the best men won't bother then.

@LoriLori. Don't shoot the messenger; I'm just repeating what the show execs said.

@Kachina624, where am I shooting the messenger?  I was obviously commenting on what the show execs said.  Sorry you took offense.

Honored Contributor

These actors have4 an agent who negiotiates a salary for them. His was better at it than hers.

Honored Contributor

from Variety (and it's in a lot of other sources):

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/petition-matt-smith-the-crown-salary-times-up-1202729883/

There is a petition to embarrass Matt Smith into donating the difference between his and Claire Foy's salary even though the producers explain he was paid more because he was the bigger star. 

Why should he have to donate back money he earned fairly because of his successful career?  And who would sign a petition?  It's nobody's business.  I think this is so unfair.  I also think this petition-for-everything thing is out of control.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLoriwrote:

from Variety (and it's in a lot of other sources):

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/petition-matt-smith-the-crown-salary-times-up-1202729883/

There is a petition to embarrass Matt Smith into donating the difference between his and Claire Foy's salary even though the producers explain he was paid more because he was the bigger star. 

Why should he have to donate back money he earned fairly because of his successful career?  And who would sign a petition?  It's nobody's business.  I think this is so unfair.  I also think this petition-for-everything thing is out of control.

I find it ricidulous that he should be 'guilted' into donating money he earned and that was the agreed upon salary for his role. I think it was stated at the Oscars that Mark Wahlberg was doing something similar. I guess what they don't see is that they're creating a monster. As was pointed out above, agents negotitate salaries and this practice of 'making things even' after the fact is ludicrous. Ms. Foy will undoubtedly command a higher salary both for this series and for other work going forward. That's generally how things work. One builds a track record and is then rewarded for doing so. This sort of lunacy is one reason some express discontent with the extent to which 'messages' are part of awards shows. Let agents, producers and 'talent' hash all this out at the time contracts are negotiated. That there should be a petition just adds insult to injury to what is already a questionable situation whereby one star is somehow made to feel they did something wrong by making more than another even though everyone agreed, up front, to their contract.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@KLevineFanwrote:

She sure did carry the show, she was in practically every scene of 20 hours, and won Golden Globe and Emmy awards!

Which will undoubtedly be considered in future salary negotiations. But if she or her agent agreed to her initial salary then that's on them. Another actor having made more doesn't mean he did anything wrong by accepting a better paycheck.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

This is all because Mark Wahlberg was paid more than Michelle Williams for re-shooting scenes from some movie where Kevin Spacey was supposed to be in, but because of the big controversy, they had to replace Kevin Spacey, so thus they had to re-shoot. Michelle didn't get as much money for re-shooting as Mark Wahlberg, so after this all coming out in the open, Mark decided to donate his extra salary to a charity.....He may or may not have been pressured into doing this. I didn't think he was, but who knows?