Honored Contributor

@chiclet  Agree 100%.  I want to turn on the TV and watch what I want to watch.  Cable is expensive but I think all these other services have/will be increasing their prices too.  Do not want to deal with Hulu?? Amazon Prime??? Netflix???  etc., etc.  Our only option here is RCN but I'm satisfied with the service and fortunately can afford the outrageous price.  At least for the time being!!

Frequent Contributor

Yes to everything you said here!  I just want simple.  I pay dearly and willingly for these channels.

Valued Contributor

@Must Love Dogs 

i know how you feel. the price of cable keeps going up, while options and service goes down. probably sooner then we know, cable and satellite companies will go the way of land lines. before we know it, it will cost $200 a month. i think that will be the breaking point for many households.

many millennials are not paying for these services because they can watch what they want on their phone. people retire and have a limited amount of money to spend. some company will come along and combine things like hulu, ruku etc into one product, to make it easier for people to use.

yes, things change. there was a time when things changed for the better and companies put forth some effort to provide quality. NOW, THINGS CHANGE, ONLY TO MAKE COMPANIES MORE MONEY! cheaper and poorly made products cost more. the length of warranties has decreased for many products. often, on this web site, i don't even see a warranty listed in the product details or description! customer service for many companies is not close to what it should be.

i would not be surprised if some companies will start, that will come to your house and set up all of these cable alternatives, for a fee.

while many companies complain that they can't compete with amazon and wind up folding, they need to take responsibility for the the role that they played in their own demise. over charging for low quality products, grossly overpaying executives and underpaying the people that actually do the real work, stores not hiring enough people during the xmas season, allowing employees to be rude to customers, and on and on.

after reading the post from  @Meowingkitty , i see that it is possible to get what cable provides, at a reasonable rate. i think more people would go that route, IF those companies "clearly" laid out what they offer and how to set it up. i don't think that most of us here, would have a problem having an extra $100 a month.

on the other hand, what @SilleeMee wrote about there being a difference in picture quality is something to take into consideration.

at least 20 years ago, i gave up the cable premium channels, like hbo & showtime, because i realized that at best, i was only watching 1 or 2 movies a month. i don't miss not having them.

i don't know for sure that what i am about to say is possible, but what if you started with an antenna and see how that goes for a few months. then add one of the other services - all while keeping your cable. then you could compare them to cable and be able to know for sure that it works, has what you want and is not a pain or annoying to use.

Esteemed Contributor

@iwrite wrote:

@Must Love Dogs 

i know how you feel. the price of cable keeps going up, while options and service goes down. probably sooner then we know, cable and satellite companies will go the way of land lines. before we know it, it will cost $200 a month. i think that will be the breaking point for many households.

many millennials are not paying for these services because they can watch what they want on their phone. people retire and have a limited amount of money to spend. some company will come along and combine things like hulu, ruku etc into one product, to make it easier for people to use.

yes, things change. there was a time when things changed for the better and companies put forth some effort to provide quality. NOW, THINGS CHANGE, ONLY TO MAKE COMPANIES MORE MONEY! cheaper and poorly made products cost more. the length of warranties has decreased for many products. often, on this web site, i don't even see a warranty listed in the product details or description! customer service for many companies is not close to what it should be.

i would not be surprised if some companies will start, that will come to your house and set up all of these cable alternatives, for a fee.

while many companies complain that they can't compete with amazon and wind up folding, they need to take responsibility for the the role that they played in their own demise. over charging for low quality products, grossly overpaying executives and underpaying the people that actually do the real work, stores not hiring enough people during the xmas season, allowing employees to be rude to customers, and on and on.

after reading the post from  @Meowingkitty , i see that it is possible to get what cable provides, at a reasonable rate. i think more people would go that route, IF those companies "clearly" laid out what they offer and how to set it up. i don't think that most of us here, would have a problem having an extra $100 a month.

on the other hand, what @SilleeMee wrote about there being a difference in picture quality is something to take into consideration.

at least 20 years ago, i gave up the cable premium channels, like hbo & showtime, because i realized that at best, i was only watching 1 or 2 movies a month. i don't miss not having them.

i don't know for sure that what i am about to say is possible, but what if you started with an antenna and see how that goes for a few months. then add one of the other services - all while keeping your cable. then you could compare them to cable and be able to know for sure that it works, has what you want and is not a pain or annoying to use.

I also got to choose what channels I wanted on Hulu. No Spanish, religion, music, kids, infomercials.  If I want those they are available free on antenna TV but at least I’m not paying for them. By the time you counted all the infomercial channels (60 plus) religion (at least 10) Spanish (at least 10 or more) and kiddie channels ( probably 5), music (another 25-30) what are you actually watching? Maybe under 10 channels. With Amazon, ROKU, Hulu, antenna I have so much more to watch. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lenapecci

I live northern NJ. I still have the ID. I did not watch it.  You may be able to receive it anyway. Do a Google search of what happen to my ID channel on Xfinity 2019.

Trusted Contributor

I am a Dish Network subscriber here in Chicago IL.  There are a lot of things mentioned on this good forum subject.

If anyone does not know, ATT owns Direct TV and Uverse TV and also now owns HBO/Cinemax premium networks.  Nothing but craziness here since that occurred.  I lost HBO last October because they were making ridiculous requirements for Dish to keep these channels.  I looked into HBO Now when it became available because I am a fan of the newer movies and series HBO brings.  However, it would have cost me more than an additional $35 month between ATT cost for faster internet speed and HBO Now.  All of this money would be in ATT's pocket, so I refused to do it.  I totally agree with all posts here about the costs that keep rising.

Also since Hallmark introduced Hallmark Now, It took a lot of research to determine that I would still be able to get the "Signed Sealed & Delivered" movies previously on Hallmark and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.  Recently found out that those movies will be viewed on Hallmark Drama Channel.  This 
#3 Hallmark channel was added to my programming some time after Dish lost HBO completely so I am fortunate I will get these loved movies when new ones are available (unless someome changes their minds).

One thing I have noticed more and more when I search for a particular movie I get a message telling me to call a number to find out how I can get my choice (even on old movies).  Never bothered to call and waste my time on this.  However, it is really insane that I would probably have to pay an On Demand fee to see an old movie.  Once again this is all insanity.  Things we pay for in our program package suddely require additional cost to view, even though there is On Demand feature previously at no cost.

Just wanted to throw out a question here.  Someone mentioned "Roku" on another forum.  Just wondering if I can connect a Roku to my 2 TV's that are connected to a Dish Hopper 3 receiver and smaller box that is part of package (cannot recall name of that thing right now.)  Would not want to have to purchase a 3rd TV so I can purchae and connect a Roku streaming device.

Hope that question was clear.  All this streaming stuff drives me nuts as has been mentioned here.

Thanks for all of the interesting information here from one and all.