Super Contributor

Re: The Bronte sisters--what a disappointing show!

If you are looking forward to watching another Downton Abbey type show, you have a long wait ahead of you.  Presentations like that come along once in a decade or generation.  

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@Petals wrote:

I must be weird, I enjoyed this show.  Despite it's shortcomings of poor sound quality and imperfect story development, I was glad to have seen it.  (I find Closed Captioning a godsend)

To imagine such harsh lives filled with the strict rules of female behavior and inequality could nonetheless produce such rich, deep and meaningful prose and poetry is astonishing.  Thank goodness for these women, they overcame adversity for all the women who follow in their literary footsteps!

@Petals, your observations were like those of my sister and me.  After watching the movie, she called me and we discussed it ... much like what you have stated.  It was a little disappointing but, regardless, I am glad I watched it.  I will be checking out the books that Anne wrote for our library's Summer Read event.

Thanks, mzlg, I'm glad to find kindred spirits in you & your sister.  I too will be reading more works by Charlotte, Emily & Ann Brontë and delving deeper into their life stories.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wikipedia has some absolutely wonderful information on this family. I went there after the show to learn more. One thing that made me laugh-when the sisters and brother were very young, someone gave Branwell a set of wooden soldiers. They called them "The Little Men". They wrote plays for them and wrote very tiny so the little men could read them. They kept them in a matchbook box. I mean, the imagination of these girls, even at a young age. Granted children didn't have much to occupy their time back then, so they were very inventive. I don't know if Branwell contributed much besides his soldiers, lol. Fascinating. My aunt when we were kids wrote plays for us to act out for the neighbors. That's as far as our talents went. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I've never understood the fascination with the Bronte sisters.  So I had no interest in this show.  And after reading hear, I'm glad!

As to hearing/understanding dialog...nearly always when I watch PBS Masterpiece (especially for let's call them accented shows), I have closed captioning on.  It's a HUGE help!

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

The show was hard to follow & the dialogue was hard to understand & hear.   I watched with CC on & still had a hard time.

Sad that their father outlived his wife & all of their 6 children.  I guess Charlotte was the only one to live long enough to marry & she ended up dying at a fairly young age (38) along with her unborn child.