Respected Contributor

Re: The Bronte sisters--what a disappointing show!

******!!!  I have it saved on my DVR and was excited to watch it - now, not so much. ☹️

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Trusted Contributor

I also thought there was something wrong with the sound I kept turning the volume up and it still sounded muffled, I found the storyline boring and really made no sense.  I was really looking forward to this, I love Masterpiece.

Contributor

I must be weird, I enjoyed this show.  Despite it's shortcomings of poor sound quality and imperfect story development, I was glad to have seen it.  (I find Closed Captioning a godsend)

To imagine such harsh lives filled with the strict rules of female behavior and inequality could nonetheless produce such rich, deep and meaningful prose and poetry is astonishing.  Thank goodness for these women, they overcame adversity for all the women who follow in their literary footsteps!

Respected Contributor

I didn't hate it but some of it was disappointing.  I agree with @CatsyCline  that they assumed the audience already knew most of their story (and a voice over narration would have helped).  They could have provided more details about when Charlotte thought she was in love with a married man (thus Jane Eyre, I guess).  They spent way too much time with Branwell.  Emily did seem to be a tortured soul (thus Wuthering Heights).  Anne seemed to be the most grounded.  Too bad she died so young.  I really want to read Anne's two books now.  Charlotte came off as too much of an enigma.  I never felt like I knew what she was thinking when she gave everyone those blank stares.  I'm glad I saw it, but it could have been better.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am enjoying this program very much.  I did not know anything about the family before I started watching it so I did not bring any pre-conceived notions into the experience.  It apparently covers a 3-year period.  During that period their brother was a major concern for the sisters and the father.  I am watching it on a PBS iPad app.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was looking forward to this series; however, after about five minutes I turned it off.   I could not understand 50% of the dialogue because of the accents.

(Is it a series?)

Respected Contributor

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had trouble with understanding the script. I had to use CC the entire time. I almost stopped and erased the recording in the first ten minute when they were shown as kids.

The music was so loud and weird and they were yelling. Then, yes, the crowns of fire, didn't understand that significance. I agree that there was too much time devoted to Branwell.

I would have liked to have known more about Patrick's eye problems.  

Trusted Contributor

I watched the whole disappointing show with CC on and was rewarded with a tour of a gift shop at the end.  

Esteemed Contributor

I watched for about 45 minutes before I turned it off.  INcredibly dull and boring.

Trusted Contributor

Petals wrote:

I must be weird, I enjoyed this show.  Despite it's shortcomings of poor sound quality and imperfect story development, I was glad to have seen it.  (I find Closed Captioning a godsend)

To imagine such harsh lives filled with the strict rules of female behavior and inequality could nonetheless produce such rich, deep and meaningful prose and poetry is astonishing.  Thank goodness for these women, they overcame adversity for all the women who follow in their literary footsteps!

@Petals, your observations were like those of my sister and me.  After watching the movie, she called me and we discussed it ... much like what you have stated.  It was a little disappointing but, regardless, I am glad I watched it.  I will be checking out the books that Anne wrote for our library's Summer Read event.