Respected Contributor

The Bronte sisters--what a disappointing show!

[ Edited ]

I'd been looking forward to the Masterpiece Theatre presentation on the Bronte sisters for weeks. I've done extensive research on the family--I taught an OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) class on Charlotte Bronte's Villette, and know a great deal about their story.

However, the disastrous show I watched on PBS was almost a complete waste of time. First of all, it focused way too much on Branwell--it was as though he were the featured player. HE WAS NOT. A little of him goes a long way.

Secondly, all the Brontes, since childhood, had been involved in creating a gothic fantasy that was wildly imaginative. On the PBS show, this caused the children to run about, screaming madly: I believe the endeavor was far more secretive.

Thirdly, though I've been loving British programs for decades, I found it quite a challenge to understand the sisters when they spoke. I had to really concentrate.

Fourthly, it ended so abruptly!

Whoever was in charge of this travesty missed the real story. Forget Branwell and focus instead on the challenges faced by the sisters as they wrote and struggled to become published.

Did anyone else watch this?

Honored Contributor

Re: The Bronte sisters--what a disappointing show!

I watched for 1/2 hr. It was so boring ,and none of the people were remotely likeable. I went to bed. The girls were sneaky ,and mean to each other. I didn't care what happened to any of them. I could only understand a fraction of what they said

What a shame. I so wanted to see this

Honored Contributor

I tuned in about half way through.  What a strange show.  I know next-to-nothing about them but hoped to learn.  No chance of that.  The women spoke so softly they were hard to understand.  It was hard to believe they were sisters - from the tall one with the long, narrow face to the short one with the round face.  I fell asleep and awoke to the strange sequence at the end that was set in the modern world.  Had they time-travelled?

Honored Contributor

agree

I watched it before and thought it was dull, so I'm "glad" to see it was not just me being picky.

Branwell was an issue in their lives as a drunk spending all the money,  so the show should have featured him but

it was not as interesting as it should be.  

Esteemed Contributor

I almost watched until the end, which I'll catch on our other PBS channel on Wednesday.

Most interesting is how their things finally get published. Isn't that how it ends?

I can see where Branwell was featured and how he might have disrupted the household with all that turmoil.

Regular Contributor

I too was extremely disappointed in the show. I agree with everything that you said.  I was considering having my hearing checked because the entire production was so difficult to understand!   I wanted to watch the show because I think that sisters are fascinating people.  Instead, the plot focused on the family dynamicscreated by  a drunken brother.  He consumed the story line.  The sisters seemed angry most of the time.  I expected much more. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found the Branwell part touching.  Although I had most of it on, I was otherwise engaged.  But the parts I saw led me to do subsequent reading.  Look up the Brontes and the Bronte Parsonage Museum to learn much more.  You can tour the actual house with good information.  

Honored Contributor

Bore.........snooze...........

Esteemed Contributor

I thought, too, it was me who was having trouble hearing the dialogue.  You couldn't understand them.  I thought it was a dud.  The only part that interested me was the end to find out what they actually went thru in those days to get published.  Can't believe I watched the whole thing just to see that!  I like British shows, but that one was a flop.

Honored Contributor

So glad it wasn't just me! Could barely understand anything and yes it was boring-watched about 15 minutes, then a few minutes at the end. I'm glad I didn't watch the whole thing-slow moving and depressing even not understanding a word!

Then I realized I forgot about Feud which isn't as great as I thought but still wanted to watch it.(I think Susan Sarandon is doing a great job of Betty Davis). 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"