Honored Contributor

This is an eight episode series that is classified as a comedy/ drama but I don't agree about the comedy part. It stars Jeremy Allen White, a young chef from the fine dining world comes home to Chicago to run his family sandwich shop after a heartbreaking death in his family. I heard Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest discussing it on Live so I decided to try it, it was excellent. 

Honored Contributor

I'm only on the third episode but I agree, it is excellent. It's quite poignant in a laugh inside way. Very clever writing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Bear On HULU

[ Edited ]

Perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance, but we didn't even make it through the first episode. 

I think I am too much of a realist, but what chef from a prestigious New York restaurant would, in a very short time period, transform into what he did? And with everyone yelling at the same time I found it to be anxiety-creating.

What am I missing?

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance, but we didn't even make it through the first episode. 

I think I am too much of a realist, but what chef from a prestigious New York restaurant would, in a very short time period, transform into what he did? And with everyone yelling at the same time I found it to be anxiety-creating.

What am I missing?

He started out at the low rung of the ladder and worked his way up to being one of the best chefs. He is a genius which I suppose in some way gives him permission to act as he does. He comes back to take over the family eatery because of something that happens. 

Honored Contributor

Love this show.  

Valued Contributor

It got an excellent review and I agree it was very good.  I did find the first episode confusing, but being Italian I am accustomed to yelling.  Did read that the lead took culinary classes.

Honored Contributor

@Terrywu wrote:

It got an excellent review and I agree it was very good.  I did find the first episode confusing, but being Italian I am accustomed to yelling.  Did read that the lead took culinary classes.

@Terrywu I'm so sensitive I wouldn't last half a day!

Regular Contributor

@Jordan2  Thank you for another excellent recommendation! I really enjoyed this show. I had never heard of it, but based on your recommendation, I tried it and liked it a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

The New York Times gave it a strong recommendation this weekend; DH and I plan on seeing it very soon.

Honored Contributor

@skincaremaven wrote:

@Jordan2  Thank you for another excellent recommendation! I really enjoyed this show. I had never heard of it, but based on your recommendation, I tried it and liked it a lot.

@skincaremaven I'm glad you liked it, I can't take all the credit had I not heard Kelly and Ryan speak about the show I would have missed it as I was unaware of it.