Honored Contributor

Bob Belcher on Bob's Burgers.

Respected Contributor

"Ward Cleaver" on "Leave It to Beaver."

Trusted Contributor

@vsmWard Cleaver gets my vote too !!!!

Honored Contributor

The Andy Griffith Show is my favorite show of all time.  I've seen every episode countless times.  The show's theme song is my ringtone.  I just ❤️❤️❤️ that show!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Fred McMurrary on "My Three Sons"......

Honored Contributor

Re: The Andy Griffith Show

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919 wrote:

I have been binge watching this show.  His character Andy Taylor was very wise, kind and a very good dad.  Do we have characters on TV like that now.  I am so glad my generation had such quality shows to watch.  

My question is who is your favorite TV dad.

Andy Taylor on "The Andy Griffith Show"

Lester Jenkins on "227"  

Jim on "Father Knows Best"

@sunshine 919 

Totally agree about the Andy Griffith Show....and the Andy Taylor character, and Jim Anderson on Father Know Best--these shows were so well written.....

My favorite dad has to be Ward Cleaver from Leave It To Beaver (I love to watch the show, the kids acted more realisticly than some of the other shows)

In addition to Ward Cleaver -(Hugh Beaumont) I would have to add as others have suggested-- Steve Douglas-(Fred McMurray, Charles Ingalls--(Michael Landon)---....

In today's sitcoms the dads come across as stupid, silly, dumb buffoons ...someone that can be easily outsmarted and disrespected...... 

While some may claim that today's shows are a more realistic approach, I find them painful and hard to watch and not funny at all ....  today's family sitcoms seem poorly written and they seem to rely mostly on bathroom humor or risque humor......where have all the good creative TV writers gone.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I watch a lot of Andy Griffith and Father Knows Best because both dads represent cultural values of yesteryear.  They still personify good parenting.

Also like Donna Reed's husband, Dr. Alex Stone, in the Donna Reed Show.  

I don't care at all for a lot of today's programming, so my list of dad characters is blank. 

Respected Contributor
@Foxxee

Thanks for mentioning Dr Alex Stone, Donna Reed Show.

Respected Contributor

I have to say my favorite TV dad was Fred McMurray.    To...

I have to say my favorite TV dad was Fred McMurray.    To this day, I still enjoy watching My Three Sons.  

I liked it better once Ernie joined the family.   The later episodes when Rob and Katie had the triplets were my favorite ones.

Valued Contributor

Re: I have to say my favorite TV dad was Fred McMurray. To...

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl wrote:

I have to say my favorite TV dad was Fred McMurray.    To this day, I still enjoy watching My Three Sons.  

I liked it better once Ernie joined the family.   The later episodes when Rob and Katie had the triplets were my favorite ones.

---

I love My Three Sons and Fred MacMurray, but my preference is the original version, with Tim Considine and William Frawley. 

Ernie was cute, but what was the deal with his (maybe adoptive) parents just leaving him behind? Never made any sense to me.