Honored Contributor

👀 The Americans - 5th Season 👀

If anybody was confused.gif after watching episode 1, you can read the "recap"---> HERE.

FWIW....

I have never missed an episode of this show.  So I was a little surprised myself when I was confused.gifthroughout episode 1 of this new season.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 👀 The Americans - 5th Season 👀

It made sense to me. They have a new mission ( the kid posing as a HS student and making freinds with the Russian family) and they had to finish up some stuff with that biological weapons science guy from last season ( the dead body were they were clearly attempting to get a sample of the biological agent that killed him). Then, Phillips son is making his way to the US to see his father. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I really enjoy this show with its excellent writing and acting.  Think it's underrated and wish more people knew about it.  They already stated that next year will be the final season so I am anxious to see how everything will play out and what will happen with Phillip and Elizabeth and their family.  Wonder if they will age it to some time in the future and not 1985 as this year on the show it is 1984.  Hope they don't turn Holly into a Russian spy (but would like it if she would be a double agent for the US!)

Honored Contributor

I was watching the show last night and caught a glimpse of Martha!! Poor Martha was in Russia shopping in a store for food that is practically nonexistent. She sure is living the life since she was sent to Russia to live out the rest of her days.I guess she is lucky she is still alive, but what kind of life does she really have?

Esteemed Contributor

Husband's favorite show. Surprised so many people don't know about it. Phillip's son -- if anything happens to him, I wonder if it will throw Phillip over the edge to defect. Phillip's daughter -- hope they don't get her involved. She's so naive. That would be disappointing. Martha, poor naive Martha. I'm guessing she'll play a surprising role in outcome since she showed up this week.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Husband's favorite show. Surprised so many people don't know about it. Phillip's son -- if anything happens to him, I wonder if it will throw Phillip over the edge to defect. Phillip's daughter -- hope they don't get her involved. She's so naive. That would be disappointing. Martha, poor naive Martha. I'm guessing she'll play a surprising role in outcome since she showed up this week.

I know what you mean about their daughter.  I am having conflicting thoughts about this show as I don't want to be a sympathizer.  

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake

The daughter is a spy in training.  So I am confused by your statement about her.

The only thing about her I am confused about is that I thought she was so into her religion that premarital "sex" was taboo.

Then again, her religious mentor(s) do not appear to be involved this season.  Was it a fad?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Watching the preview it's obvious what's coming up with Paige. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I have watched every episode of every season of The Americans.  It is one of the best series on TV.  I like the way they build on their season. Fabulous writing as well as superb actors.

Esteemed Contributor

Philip has that faraway look. A part of me thinks Philip will eventually connect with his oldest son and take his children and defect to America -- new identity. I think he'll need to keep his departure from his wife who's loyal to the Motherland. Just a guess.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau