Honored Contributor

The Amazing Race! Spoilers included!

Week two of TAR went down largely like week one with Rupert and his wife more or less lost and trailing the field. As has become more or less customary in recent years, everyone ended up on the same flight from Japan to Laos, bunching the whole field together and largely eliminating any advantage to any team. After a stop to give tributes to Buddhist monks they scrambled off to a comp where they could either learn the Laotian alphabet, or prepare food for a BBQ. Two teams (Becca/Floyd and Tyler/Korey) were given u-turns to slow them down, but both survived doing both challenges.

Then they were off to ride elephants across a river and back then off to the pit stop. Nicole and Victor were leading the race to the pit stop, but Nicole, being Nicole, listened to the Afghanimals who shouted they were going the wrong way and stopped, letting the Afghanimals slip ahead of them and win their second leg in a row. (Why didn't anyone hit the Afghanimals with a u-turn? They're clearly the best team and were the last time they raced also.) Rupert and his wife finished at the very end, and with no one taking a penalty this week, they were eliminated.

The Big Brother teams are getting their legs under them a bit and performing well. The Survivor and TAR teams are having more trouble it seems. Nicole and Victor nearly won that leg. Rachel and Elissa (despite Rachel still being Rachel) weren't far behind and Britney and Janelle were right behind them. 

The team most likely to win are the Afghanimals. They're just dominating so far and will do anything to win. (Not dumb since it's for a million dollars.) Everyone else needs them to make a big mistake. The three BB teams are doing well so far finishing second, third and fifth this leg. The Survivor teams seem a bit lost coming in sixth, eighth and last. All in all, it's off to a pretty good start. We aren't seeing alot of any of the teams with so many teams still active, but as the weeks go by we'll see more and more of each team. Barring a collapse or really bad luck (which happens on TAR) the Afghanimals will likely win. Not using a u-turn on them last night was a big mistake.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: The Amazing Race! Spoilers included!

Thanks for the update Gardenman. I enjoyed the show & everyone seemed to like the elephants. I think the alphabet would have been very hard to learn.

Honored Contributor

Haha!  The name of the show was a quote by Rupert.  I love it -- you never know, like with Survivor, if they're spoiling it or teasing.

I was not happy how they teased a nonelimination leg.  I did not want Rupert & Laura would live to race another day.  I was so happy when Phil told them immediately that they had been eliminated.

Out of the hundreds of people that have played Survivor Rupert and Laura were a terrible choice.  Not in shape enough, not smart enough, and yes Rupert has a following but so do a lot of others.   At least we won't be seeing him on the next two seasons of Survivor.

The Afghananimals are a hard team to U-turn because they play dirty, like sending Nicole & Victor the wrong way.  I think people are somewhat scared of them.

Honored Contributor

My heart was racing throughout the show.  It was fast-paced and very well done.

@gardenman  please refresh my memory:  The last season of TAR I watched, Nicole had a heavy-duty PDA-heavy showmance but it wasn't with Victor.  Am I misremembering and if not who was it with and did it continue for any amount of time after BB ended?  

Honored Contributor

I always watched this show.  However, none of these names sounded familiar (and I watch a lot of TV/reality, etc).

So, I decided not to watch it this year.....maybe near the end I'll catch a few shows.

I'll stay somewhat clued in thanks to all you....

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

My heart was racing throughout the show.  It was fast-paced and very well done.

@gardenman  please refresh my memory:  The last season of TAR I watched, Nicole had a heavy-duty PDA-heavy showmance but it wasn't with Victor.  Am I misremembering and if not who was it with and did it continue for any amount of time after BB ended?  

Yeah, Nicole was with Corey during her last season on Big Brother, but Victor clearly had his flirt game on with Nicole. When the season ended Corey went back to Texas and resumed his party boy ways which didn't work for Nicole. Victor then moved in and took over for Corey. She clearly upgraded by dumping Corey. In an odd quirk Victor proposed to Nicole in the BB house, just a few feet from where her and Corey had "relations" tucked away in their corner bed. Nicole and Corey were done very, very quickly after the season ended.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I've watched every single episode of Survivor and TAR and there were a lot of players that I didn't remember.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the history, @gardenman .  Now I remember her annoying ubiquitious nasal seemingly endless vocalizations of "Coooooooooreeeeeeeeeey."  Kind of weird that Victor dove right in for sloppy seconds but hey, I'm a fan of love so I hope it works out.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I've watched every single episode of Survivor and TAR and there were a lot of players that I didn't remember.

The first Survivor team eliminated I remembered (not his name) the first responder from Boston because of the bombing and they dressed him in a Boston Strong tee shirt and really pushed it ad nauseum. The other guy looked totally unfamilar.

I really like Eliza, she's been fun and a good competitor on Survivor. Corinne I remember (but I remember so many, it's my favorite show, I can't remember my name half the time but I could name hundreds of Survivor contestants LOL). But Corinne didn't stand out on Survivor.

And then Rupert and Laura. Waaaa Waaaa Waaaaaaaaaaa. So many better people they could have chosen and they picked them.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Thanks for the history, @gardenman .  Now I remember her annoying ubiquitious nasal seemingly endless vocalizations of "Coooooooooreeeeeeeeeey."  Kind of weird that Victor dove right in for sloppy seconds but hey, I'm a fan of love so I hope it works out.

Victor liked Nicole the whole season and flirted with her on the rare occasions she wasn't glued to Corey. Once he heard they'd broken up, he moved in and they seem very happy together. It seems to be working for them. I think we have more married couples from BB than The Bachelor/Bachelorette. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!