Honored Contributor

Re: The Affair Season 4 on Showtime

@SusieQ_2  I agree with your post.  I've watched interviews by several of the main characters/actors on this show.  

I enjoy the fact that it's from each person's perspective.  That (alone) makes it fascinating.  We all view life from our own individual perspective.

My daughters have similarities on their childhood, but when they start talking about individual incidents, that's where things will vary, especially as they get older.  The youngest is in her late 30's now.  We recently discussed something and I was in awe in the differences.

Just watching one person's perspective after the other....I have watched it twice and noticed differences each time.  Just in the way they react to others, things they say to people, etc.

Look, as I've said before, you guys wouldn't believe the things that have gone on in my family.  People having affairs with each other, loved one's best friends and on and on.  So what?!  

It has nothing to do with this show.  My life was not fiction.  This show is fiction.  

It would be fun to see other shows (i.e. crime, etc) that were filmed like this show.

Again, @SusieQ_2 good post. You did a good job of explaining the differences.

Honored Contributor

Here's what I found out about marrying a US citizen.  I was curious because I thought you automatically became a US citizen too.  It hasn't changed, it's been that way according to what I read.  Here some of what I read:

Marriage does entitle the non-citizen to

apply

for US permanent residency, provided they can show they will be living in the US. For example, if a US citizen married a German citizen, and they continue to live in Germany, the german citizen cannot apply for a US permanent resident visa. If, at some time later, the couple decide to move back to the US, the German citizen can at that time apply for a permanent residency visa. Such marriage-based permanent resident visas are almost always granted once the couple shows proper residency intent (and, shows that the marriage is not a sham or fraud one).

Any non-citizen holding a US permanent residency visa can apply for US citizenship via the nationalization process. The key requirements of the citizenship process are:

Be a permanent resident for at least 5 years (or 3 if married to a US citizen)

1. Reside continuously (except for short-duration excursions) in the US for that period of time
  2. Have a clean criminal record, or obtain a specific waiver from an immigration judge
  3. Attend proper citizenship classes
  4. There's more but too much to cy, you get the idea though.
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, I have to admit I don't know much about the process. So, if this true, Luisa should be filing for residency? Of course, as we've been saying, it's fiction and they have to keep it exciting. Interesting info though Annabelle. 

Valued Contributor

@SusieQ_2 I didn't mean my parents were despicable. My father had an affair after 20 years of marriage. It hurt me so badly. Older brothers were out of the house and on their own so they weren't affected too much. I was 15 and my younger brother 5. He grew up without a father. I was the only daughter with 4 brothers. How I wished I had had a loving relationship with my dad. I'm always jealous of friends who have/had a loving relationship with their dads. My father - I feel - ruined a wonderful family. My siblings and I  all have long lasting marriages, so that didn't affect our furture relationships. My mother never remarried. My dad did with the woman he had the affair with. Then she had an affair while she was married to my dad. The rest of his life, he regretted what he had done. So anything to do with affairs is very hurtful. Yes, I probably should have had therapy. I just learned to live with it. Just think anything to do with affairs is a waste of time. JMHO  This is probably more information than you wanted to know...sorry 

Esteemed Contributor

Not at all @mare54, don't be sorry. I appreciate you being forthcoming with that, I'm sure it wasn't easy. Thank you for clearing up that you don't think your parents are despicable because that really made me feel badly for you.

I'm not going to ask or comment on what might have caused the affair or even whether or not your dad ended up paying for it over the years as it's not my place. Yes, affairs in real life situations can be painful and destructive. I doubt anyone would argue with that. Considering your history I think it's very wise and understandable that you don't wish to see it even in a fictional tv show. 

On a lighter note...I hope you can understand that many people find stories depicting all sorts of human interactions, including their weaknesses, as nothing more than entertainment. Take care and thanks for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 I am like the rest of you in that I don't know much about it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mare54 wrote:

@Pearlee An affair IS NOT FICTION! It's very real! 

@mare54  The particular Affair we are discussing in this thread is fiction.   That's what my post meant and I'd be very surprised if you really thought otherwise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@mare54 wrote:

How can someone watch this movie. My parents divorced because of an affair. Despicable!  It’s been almost 50 years and it still hurts at times.

@mare54, I'm sorry you feel your parents are despicable. It sounds like you still struggle with the past and I'm sorry for that. That said, @Pearlee didn't say an affair is fiction. She said "The Affair" is fiction because, obviously, it is. Noah and Alison are not real. I can't believe I needed to say that, lol.

Most people are capable of separating the fiction of film and literature from real life experiences. Watching a TV show about something we would never do ourselves is in no way endorsing that behavior. I just watched, and enjoyed, a documentary about murder yet I don't approve of murder and have no plans to kill anyone. As far as "The Affair" goes, I think it's a really good series. Pearley said it was fiction because, obviously, it is. My only complaint is having to wait until Sunday to see the next episode.

@SusieQ_2  Excellent post.  Thank you for completely understanding what I had posted.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If this continues we may need a fresh thread. I am trying to practice the principle of "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" but it's getting hard.

On another note, @Pearlee  great to see you here.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Trusted Contributor

I wasn't expecting much from this last season, the first episode was OK -- but episode two and tonight were not very good.  I will stick with it until the end.  The second half of tonight was very depressing.  I wonder if they are setting it up for Noah and his ex-wife to end up together..............