Valued Contributor

Re: The Affair Season 4 on Showtime

How can someone watch this movie. My parents divorced because of an affair. Despicable!  It’s been almost 50 years and it still hurts at times.

Honored Contributor

@mare54

Speaking for myself....."entertainment."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I was surprised about Luisa's legal problems.  I don't remember this mentioned in the previous season.  New writers, maybe?

Regular Contributor

I've watched this show since it first started. I have to agree last season was a little off, but so far I'm enjoying this season.

Just because we watch the show doesn't me we are condoning or condeming affairs LOL.  

As far as Luisa, I thought if you married a citizen you were OK to stay in the county. As far as selling the restaurant, it seems foolish to give up such a great deal. 

It's odd that they are not going back and forth on the different storylines within each episode. We have an entire episode on the folks in California, then an entire episode in Montauk. 

Honored Contributor

I remember that Luisa was illegal from the second season when she met Cole. I thnk she was a waitress when they started seeing each other. @shoppingless    I know it used to be if you married a citizen you were safe but that's proably no longer true.

I guess this week we'll see Helen. Great!

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@mare54 wrote:

How can someone watch this movie. My parents divorced because of an affair. Despicable!  It’s been almost 50 years and it still hurts at times.

@mare54  It is a television series, not a movie.  It's fiction, like most of what is on television.

Honored Contributor

Luisa is still an illegal.  Just because she "marries" an American, does not make her safe.  She is still an "illegal."

If she had applied for a "green" card, she would have been "safe."  Is Luisa even her real name?  If she really does have a driver's license, it's under a fake name.  I suspect she even has a fake SS# to match the name on her drivers license.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Yes, this a pretty horrible series. I began watching from the beginning and wonder why I still watch but that's how they get ya'! I find the lead female actress extremely homely. How can her character get so many men! Very ridiculous storyline. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

@Pearlee An affair IS NOT FICTION! It's very real! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mare54 wrote:

@mare54, I'm sorry you feel your parents are despicable. It sounds like you still struggle with the past and I'm sorry for that. That said, @Pearlee didn't say an affair is fiction. She said "The Affair" is fiction because, obviously, it is. Noah and Alison are not real. I can't believe I needed to say that, lol.

Most people are capable of separating the fiction of film and literature from real life experiences. Watching a TV show about something we would never do ourselves is in no way endorsing that behavior. I just watched, and enjoyed, a documentary about murder yet I don't approve of murder and have no plans to kill anyone. As far as "The Affair" goes, I think it's a really good series. Pearley said it was fiction because, obviously, it is. My only complaint is having to wait until Sunday to see the next episode.