Trusted Contributor

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

@Pearlee

Interesting observations. It does seem odd that Alison would abandon her daughter after losing her son. If they had stuck with the original plot without all the other wacky tangents, it would have been so much better.
I sometimes felt they just threw people in to try to expand into more seasons...remember Amy Irving popped up as Cole's father's former lover?? What?? Why??
The futuristic stuff was odd. At first I thought they were just living in a very high-tech house with an automated organic greenhouse!

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@Pearlee

Interesting observations. It does seem odd that Alison would abandon her daughter after losing her son. If they had stuck with the original plot without all the other wacky tangents, it would have been so much better.
I sometimes felt they just threw people in to try to expand into more seasons...remember Amy Irving popped up as Cole's father's former lover?? What?? Why??
The futuristic stuff was odd. At first I thought they were just living in a very high-tech house with an automated organic greenhouse!

@MarnieRez3   Oh I had forgotten all about Amy Irving but it was great to see her - she looks terrific (but not great to see her character as you point out).  

I'm really hating too how buffoonish the neighbor who had Vic's child is.  They made that storyline too extreme with how "hippie" she is - it's ridiculous.  And IMO the whole plot line of her having Vic's baby is ridiculous, and now that Helen would be so chummy with her after she cheated with Helen's hubby and had the baby Helen wouldn't have with him.   Jumping the shark.  

This could have been such a great show if it had stuck to how great it was the first couple of seasons.  The same thing happened with another Levi-Treem show, In Treatment with Gabriel Byrne as a psychiatrist - it was on HBO.  It ended up going off the plot-deep-end and getting ridiculous, whereas the first couple of seasons were great.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee"now that Helen would be so chummy with her after she cheated with Helen's hubby and had the baby Helen wouldn't have with him."

They never married.  This came out at the funeral.  Reason why Helen had no say about his "body."

Also, don't forget this is the SECOND time Helen's SOs had an affair resulting in a "baby."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Wow, the birthing scene.  I thought they were both going to die.  Guess Helen has no kick coming, since she had a fling with Sierra at that retreat. 

Fun to see some future technology in the segment with Joanie.  I do miss Cole and Alison. 

Trusted Contributor

@LyndaGee 

I must agree - the most recent crazy, disjointed episode makes me really miss Ruth Wilson!

Helen (Maura Tierney) with her pursed lips and her constant woe-is-me attitude is no fun to watch.

Vic said in his last video message to Helen that she was constantly taking care of other people...REALLY? She was never portrayed as a caring, empathic, warm person - she was always a self-absorbed snob!

Even at the end of Vic's life, Helen was at a total loss on how to truly give of herself. Am I missing something here?? 

And now it looks as though she may have an affair with a movie star. Oh gosh - I too miss Alison and Cole!

There was a scene with Noah and the brilliant Sanaa Lathan in a car this week and Noah was LAUGHING out loud. I don't think I've seen a character on this show really have a true belly laugh in all three seasons! It is too often a cavalcade of bleak self-analysis.

And yet....I keep watching!! Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3. One more thing about Helen is she is always angry about something. She walks around carrying so much anger.

She did treat Vic abominally when he was dying. If she hadn't been so selfish I doubt he would have had that fling with the neighbor.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@MarnieRez3. One more thing about Helen is she is always angry about something. She walks around carrying so much anger.

She did treat Vic abominally when he was dying. If she hadn't been so selfish I doubt he would have had that fling with the neighbor.

@Pearlee   I agree. In fact I said pretty much the same thing last week.

@Tique wrote:

I had forgotten how miserable Helen always seems to be. I know this was a sad time in her life but it wouldn't have mattered. She's never happy.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Pearlee"now that Helen would be so chummy with her after she cheated with Helen's hubby and had the baby Helen wouldn't have with him."

They never married.  This came out at the funeral.  Reason why Helen had no say about his "body."

Also, don't forget this is the SECOND time Helen's SOs had an affair resulting in a "baby."

@Mz iMac   The first time it did result in a baby. It just wasn't Noah's. Oops!

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Valued Contributor

H yestRe: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

I told my DH yesterday that I don't know why I continue to watch this show.Helen is so miserable,Noah is a creep and Joanie appears to be a whacko too. No redeeming qualities on any of them. Yet I guess I have to see it through the end.But I will probably continue to loathe the characters. I know,I'm a silly rabbit!Smiley Tongue

Trusted Contributor

Re: H yestRe: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

Yes I thought last nights episode was worse.  Why do these men always throw them selves at Helen?  

I just feel this is one of those shows that really should have been a two season show.  The writers didn't know what to do with it after that.  I am not sure how many episodes are left but it is pretty predictable which whay it is heading.