Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,850
Registered: ‎04-23-2010

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)


@annabellethecat wrote:

@coffee drinker  I was thinking the same thing (about age).  

 

If I knew these people I'd find out what their secret is to looking the same and bottle the stuff, go on QVC  and make a zillion dollars!  Ha!

 

Allison's daughter seems like a real treat to be around.  OMG!  I could see the cloud over this poor woman!  So we're supposed to believe she married a cheerful, loving man and she's a pain in the tukus....

 

That's some house they live in, isn't it.  Even the pill bottle prescription magically appears....I want some of that!

 

Of course they had to get the nipple shot in.  What was the purpose of that?  Did we need to see these two in the bed either?  I'm not a prude, I just felt like it was thrown in there (I remember they did some of that last season).

 

I've noticed these (and other writers) rather than using their brain of other ways of showing her feelings like "let's just get this over", they quickly felt the need to show us in all the glory.  It seemed like it went on and on.  Ugh!

 

I've often felt that there were shows that a 15, 16 and so on year old might watch (and maybe learn a little about human interaction and complicated people) were it not for the writers feeling the need to throw in such blatant sex.  (I'm trying to state it so it's a little less tacky

 

The show has a rating of 18+, MA, nudity and graphic language. This is shown right before the opening of each episode. 

 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,207
Registered: ‎02-19-2015

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

@annabellethecat
@Pearlee
@TurnerGal
@Kitty Galore
@Tique

And all the other great posters here:

Too many nipple shots, gratuitous sex and crazy timelines with differing viewpoints...yep, "The Affair" is back! Sunday's episode was so odd, but it kept me interested.

One question for you all, because the show's flash-forwards and flashbacks and non-linear narrative often drive me nuts:

Noah and Helen have 4 kids, and the youngest is Stacy, who looks to be maybe 8 or 10 years old. (She was clinging tightly to her sister Whitney outside the funeral.)
In his funeral video, Vic said he had come to love the four kids as his own, over the last EIGHT years.
Okay... do any of you recall seeing a two- or three-year old Stacy living with Helen and Vic?? I swear I don't remember ever seeing them with kids that young!
(Actually, I don't remember Noah and Helen having a baby that young in ANY season. Do you remember their kids being that young even in the first season, when they were all sitting at the lobster shack where Noah met Alison??)

I'm happy that "future" Joanie is seen in the coming attractions trying to find Ben, her mother's murderer. I really want the man to go to jail for what he did! The writers must know that viewers want justice for Alison.

It's still not clear why Ruth Wilson (Alison) is off the show. She told the NY Times it was NOT over a pay issue, but she also said the producers won't let her discuss her sudden departure. I have loved her since Jane Eyre on PBS, and also from Luther.

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me figure this out... My family says the show jumped the shark after Season 1, so I'm alone in my viewing. Looks like this season is going to be a wild one. Enjoy!



Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,850
Registered: ‎04-23-2010

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)


@247Optimist wrote:
@annabellethecat
@Pearlee
@TurnerGal
@Kitty Galore
@Tique

And all the other great posters here:

Too many nipple shots, gratuitous sex and crazy timelines with differing viewpoints...yep, "The Affair" is back! Sunday's episode was so odd, but it kept me interested.

One question for you all, because the show's flash-forwards and flashbacks and non-linear narrative often drive me nuts:

Noah and Helen have 4 kids, and the youngest is Stacy, who looks to be maybe 8 or 10 years old. (She was clinging tightly to her sister Whitney outside the funeral.)
In his funeral video, Vic said he had come to love the four kids as his own, over the last EIGHT years.
Okay... do any of you recall seeing a two- or three-year old Stacy living with Helen and Vic?? I swear I don't remember ever seeing them with kids that young!
(Actually, I don't remember Noah and Helen having a baby that young in ANY season. Do you remember their kids being that young even in the first season, when they were all sitting at the lobster shack where Noah met Alison??)

I'm happy that "future" Joanie is seen in the coming attractions trying to find Ben, her mother's murderer. I really want the man to go to jail for what he did! The writers must know that viewers want justice for Alison.

It's still not clear why Ruth Wilson (Alison) is off the show. She told the NY Times it was NOT over a pay issue, but she also said the producers won't let her discuss her sudden departure. I have loved her since Jane Eyre on PBS, and also from Luther.

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me figure this out... My family says the show jumped the shark after Season 1, so I'm alone in my viewing. Looks like this season is going to be a wild one. Enjoy!




Have you seen Ruth in Mrs. Wilson on PBS?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,207
Registered: ‎02-19-2015

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

@mom2four0418

Oh yes - she was so phenomenal in that too! Thanks for reminding me! 💜
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,583
Registered: ‎07-26-2014

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)



Yes, Helen is so anxiety-ridden and such a self-centered person, she is exhausting to watch! (I also cannot stand Whitney, her daughter, who is the Poster Child for Over-endulged Offspring!)
 The apple does not fall too far from the tree.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."


220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,095
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)


@247Optimist wrote:
@annabellethecat
@Pearlee
@TurnerGal
@Kitty Galore
@Tique

And all the other great posters here:

Too many nipple shots, gratuitous sex and crazy timelines with differing viewpoints...yep, "The Affair" is back! Sunday's episode was so odd, but it kept me interested.

One question for you all, because the show's flash-forwards and flashbacks and non-linear narrative often drive me nuts:

Noah and Helen have 4 kids, and the youngest is Stacy, who looks to be maybe 8 or 10 years old. (She was clinging tightly to her sister Whitney outside the funeral.)
In his funeral video, Vic said he had come to love the four kids as his own, over the last EIGHT years.
Okay... do any of you recall seeing a two- or three-year old Stacy living with Helen and Vic?? I swear I don't remember ever seeing them with kids that young!
(Actually, I don't remember Noah and Helen having a baby that young in ANY season. Do you remember their kids being that young even in the first season, when they were all sitting at the lobster shack where Noah met Alison??)

I'm happy that "future" Joanie is seen in the coming attractions trying to find Ben, her mother's murderer. I really want the man to go to jail for what he did! The writers must know that viewers want justice for Alison.

It's still not clear why Ruth Wilson (Alison) is off the show. She told the NY Times it was NOT over a pay issue, but she also said the producers won't let her discuss her sudden departure. I have loved her since Jane Eyre on PBS, and also from Luther.

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me figure this out... My family says the show jumped the shark after Season 1, so I'm alone in my viewing. Looks like this season is going to be a wild one. Enjoy!




@247Optimist   No I sure don't.  Stacy isn't making sense at all.  Because...in the beginning of the show, didn't Alison keep Noah and Helen's youngest kid from choking (according to her version of events)?  The kid was about 4, so after 8 years that would make the kid 12.  Anyway, the choking kid was their youngest so this Stacy character doesn't make sense.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,207
Registered: ‎02-19-2015

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

@Pearlee

Oh my...yes! HOW did you remember that choking incident?? Thank you, dear Pearley...you jogged my memory. And, you solved the mystery!

So, I went back and watched the Noah and Alison initial meeting in Season 1, Episode 1 (ON DEMAND) and guess what?? STACY was the child who almost choked!
And...she looked to be about 3 years old. So, I guess it DOES make sense that if you add EIGHT years to Stacy's age, she would be about 11, and the little girl in Sunday's episode looked to be about 11.

So, the continuity editor did a fine job...and I was WRONG!

Thank you again!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,095
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)


@247Optimist wrote:
@Pearlee

Oh my...yes! HOW did you remember that choking incident?? Thank you, dear Pearley...you jogged my memory. And, you solved the mystery!

So, I went back and watched the Noah and Alison initial meeting in Season 1, Episode 1 (ON DEMAND) and guess what?? STACY was the child who almost choked!
And...she looked to be about 3 years old. So, I guess it DOES make sense that if you add EIGHT years to Stacy's age, she would be about 11, and the little girl in Sunday's episode looked to be about 11.

So, the continuity editor did a fine job...and I was WRONG!

Thank you again!

@247Optimist  You are welcome, but are giving me too much credit!   I was wrong like you were because I thought Stacy had to be older now than she looked in the show on Sunday.  Admittedly though, I didn't see her real well in any of the shots of her - just very quickly but did wonder Sunday how Stacy could be that young (again, my quick glimpses at her made her seem younger).  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,095
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

[ Edited ]

My comment about the show is how very far afield it has gone from Alison's initial main storyline of losing Gideon, her little boy.  I thought it jumped the shark when she had Joanie and paid so little attention to her and then fled the scene, leaving her with Noah.  Given how much she wanted another child after Gideon, that plotline never made sense to me.  Season 1 was great, Season 2 was very good and then downhill it went.

 

I did watch Sunday and I really dislike the futuristic stuff in the Anna Paquin storyline.  I don't mind jumping ahead to the future - we'd know that from Alison being grown up now and married with two kids. (They have to wrap this up with some storyline to account for Alison and Cole not being there so OK - they chose to move into the future).  But,  the futuristic stuff isn't necessary and is a distraction IMO.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,095
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

My comment about the show is how very far afield it has gone from Alison's initial main storyline of losing Gideon, her little boy.  I thought it jumped the shark when she had Alison and paid so little attention to her and then fled the scene, leaving her with Noah.  Given how much she wanted another child after Gideon, that plotline never made sense to me.  Season 1 was great, Season 2 was very good and then downhill it went.

 

I did watch Sunday and I really dislike the futuristic stuff in the Anna Paquin storyline.  I don't mind jumping ahead to the future - we'd know that from Alison being grown up now and married with two kids. (They have to wrap this up with some storyline to account for Alison and Cole not being there so OK - they chose to move into the future).  But,  the futuristic stuff isn't necessary and is a distraction IMO. I went back and edited to correct.


Oops  I meant to say "when she had Joanie."