Honored Contributor

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

I was glad that Helen refused to take care of the baby but didn't understand why she allowed her daughter to do it. Sierra left her baby in the care of a 12 yo and returned at  2 AM after having sex with another man she just met.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@Tique 

Helen did not allow it.  Her daughter overheard the conversation between her mother & Sierra at the front door.  So she volunteered knowing her mother would not be home.

When Sierra arrived to retrieve the baby, Helen was sleeping on the couch & scolded Sierra about letting a 12 yr old babysit because she never babysat before.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Just watched this week's episode. Joannie trying to deal with her dad's heartbreak and her mom's destructive decisions, which punished everyone around her. Which is what Joannie is doing now to her young family. The death of her mother torments her. I'm not into jumping ahead on story lines, but the reality of selfish decisions affecting future generations is reality.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Just watched this week's episode. Joannie trying to deal with her dad's heartbreak and her mom's destructive decisions, which punished everyone around her. Which is what Joannie is doing now to her young family. The death of her mother torments her. I'm not into jumping ahead on story lines, but the reality of selfish decisions affecting future generations is reality.   

Her mother suffered from depression and anxiety after the death of her child. Her father smothered her after Allison's death. Mental illness is real and often runs in families.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

Going out on a limb here but me thinks the show would be a lot better if they had left this whole Joanie segment off. She adds nothing. Not a thing. 

ITA with this.   Unless there will be some giant tie-in with the rest of the storylines it's just wasted air.

I kind of feel, over all, that I just don't know what is even going on this season.  Also, I don't remember them resolving the death that occurred at the end of last season.  I thought this season would have a lot about finding out who killed her.  Maybe I just missed something, as that is not entirely impossible.  Smiley Happy

I'm only watching because I'm invested, like all of you, having watched the show from the beginning.  But I'm about on the fence with leaving.  I've quit quite a few shows this year.  Even quit  Walking Dead in the first two episodes of season 9 and I usually won't quit something if I'm invested THAT much, but I got tired of just the same exact cycle over and over and over, etc, ad nauseam.

But, with this season, I kind of feel over the whole thing.    There really is nothing left to see here, IMO.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with the entire Joanie thing.  I think they are heading towards Joanie figuring out that Alison didn't kill herself.  

All I keep thinking is I wish I knew why Ruth Wilson had to leave the show.  The show should have finished with the four original characters.  They now had to come up with this crazy story in the future.  But I am still watching..................

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt  I feel the same way about this season. I will finish season 5 because I have watched from the beginning. I didn't even watch episode 4 because I was watching Ken Burns documentary on country music. I see no reason for an additional season. In my opinion, the series had a natural conclusion with the death of Allison. They could have added an episode to last season to show the character's lives 25 years later. Losing Allison and Cole this season has hurt the series. The audience knew last season that Allison's death was murder not suicide. I don't like the Noah's movie nonsense. I enjoyed last night's episode because it focused on what I thought this season would be about - solving Allison's murder.

Honored Contributor

Joanie who???  She will always be Sookie to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8tODhvb47s  Smiley LOL

Joanie/Sookie admits cheating to her husband.  Has been doing it for years w/random men = nympho

Hubby kicks her out of the house.  Not once did she mention taking her daughters w/her who she really did not want which she sort of blurted out.  Now we know why she left w/o them w/o so much as a goodby.

She runs to the last man she had random sex with.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   That scene when she was attempting to do her daughters' hair, I cringed. Literally. I wondered if that was her first time even though neither of them is a toddler.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Respected Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@Mz iMac   That scene when she was attempting to do her daughters' hair, I cringed. Literally. I wondered if that was her first time even though neither of them is a toddler.

The segments on each show are told from the perspective of the character named on the screen. It is possible that Joanie's perceptions are not always based in reality. That makes the most sense for me.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky