Honored Contributor

The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

[ Edited ]

I just found this.  Don't go here if you don't like spoilers:

https://tvline.com/2019/06/04/the-affair-season-5-premiere-date-showtime/

@Tique https://www.thewrap.com/the-affair-anna-paquin-final-season-alison-cole-daughter-season-5/

Here's what I was talking about.  Did you know they were going to do this?

Honored Contributor

Re: The Affair - Fifth and Final Season (Spoilers Possible)

Not surprised by Helen's new love interest.  She was testing the waters last season. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  they revealed some of this a while ago. It's somewhere on a thread here. When I first read about the daughter being featured in a "many years have passed" scenario, my initial thought was I wouldn't bother with the last season. However after you invest so much time into a series, it feels wrong not to see it thru to the end. I have low expectations; hope I'm surprised.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 @Mz iMac    I went back to read the Season Four Affair thread because I do that when there was an active discussion. It saves me from needing to go back and watch old episodes. So pleased to discover on the last thread, I included the links from the previous seasons.

One of the things that distinguished "The Affair" was showing different peoples' viewpoints of the same event. Wonder if that will continue. I don't necessarily think it was a mistake to kill Alison but do wish she was appearing in flashbacks. As for Cole - never thought of him as a major character nor was I ever impressed by him so his limited/no appearance is fine with me. I did like Luisa.

Honored Contributor

@Tique @I agree.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Wow...I didn't realize these changes were coming. I've been with this series from the beginning: through the original murder mystery; through the completely dark and very boring season where Noah was doing time in prison; through the Cole/Luisa romance and through the Vic pancreatic cancer storyline.

Nothing, nothing, nothing in this show stunned me more than Alison being murdered. Shocking. Shocking. Shocking.

There are times when I swore I would never watch this show again because it got so disjointed and boring and absurd. I loved the idea of showing different viewpoints, but it got awfully confusing, especially the timeline of who killed whom, who fathered which baby, etc.

But...the brilliant Fiona Apple theme song, those compelling watery credits and the powerhouse acting keeps bringing me back.
Maura Tierney is so good, Ruth Wilson was just astounding, Mare Winningham...where has she BEEN all these years...Sanaa Lathan, Joshua Jackson, Omar Metwally, and on and on..

So, I'll watch the final season. But, it's been a treacherous and often dissatisfying ride, broken up, thankfully, by some of the best acting on TV.
Trusted Contributor

@Tique
I feel the exact same way you do...to quote you, "it feels wrong not to see it through to the end."
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3  Your post was well written.  I enjoyed reading it.

You are a welcomed ( as are all newbies) poster.  You express yourself well.

Thanks for the insightful post.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Thank you so much for your kind words! I am copying you...you always write detailed, interesting and thoughtful posts.

Enjoy the show tonight! ❤

Pretty soon we will be writing about "The End of the Affair..." 😃
Honored Contributor

I had forgotten how miserable Helen always seems to be. I know this was a sad time in her life but it wouldn't have mattered. She's never happy.