Honored Contributor

The 95th Academy Awards - In Memoriam

As soon as they said John Travolta I wondered how he would get through it, with both Olivia and Kirstie in the memorial tribute.

I liked it better in years past when they posted two pictures, one portrait and one of them at work. At least we don't have that awkward applause any longer. It was sad to see old actors and others who were prominent in their day get little applause.

William Shatner recently said, "No one remembers anyone. Who remembers Danny Kaye or Cary Grant? They were great stars. But they’re gone and no one cares.”

Respected Contributor

Re: The 95th Academy Awards - In Memoriam

Not just Olivia and Kirstie but his own dear wife Kelly who passed in 2020.

Honored Contributor

That is sad what William Shatner said. But I think movie and musical and theater fans will remember long ago stars. Danny Kaye? my mother had his record. Cary Grant? So many movies that can still be loved and watched.

Will people forget from all generations things like Gone With The Wind? Vivian Lee. Or how bout Marilyn Monroe?

My Fair Lady-Audrey Hepburn.

I'll remember.

I'm sure generations to come will remember Lady Gaga, 

Rhianna, Beyonce, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong.

And William Shatner-We will remember "where no man has gone before". Have no doubt!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom I thought it was in very bad taste when Jimmy Kimmel asked folks to go on their phone and vote if Robert Blake should be included. The man died sick, broken and practically homeless living on SS. He did appear on TV and in movies. Why not be included?

Trusted Contributor

I think he killed someone and got away with it. Here in California. That's what we think

Super Contributor

I agree ! Very bad taste.
Respected Contributor

Very nicely done.  John did a good job - Understandable that he would get emotional.  I've read that in his religion, they believe in being reunited with loved ones, so that must be a comfort.

Lenny Kravitz sounded great.

Honored Contributor

You are right @Shanus.. It should not have become an issue...no matter your personal perspective.  

Trusted Contributor

I noticed Anne Heche and Cindy Williams were not mentioned either.

Respected Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

I noticed Anne Heche and Cindy Williams were not mentioned either.

Neither was Paul Sorvino, which is unfathomable.