Respected Contributor

Re: The 2019 Hallmark Christmas Movies

I admit I am a Hallmark movie fan, but my least favorite time of year for these movies is Christmas. They start too early in the season showing Christmas movies. In the past they had maybe 6 new movies on for the season. The writing was better and so was the acting. Now these movies just seem to be the same over and over. I just watched one of their earlier movies, I think it was called The Christmas Card with Ed Asner. It was so much better than the dribble they are producing now. Also, did anyone notice how politically correct the movies have become this year? They took it to the extreme. Very interesting.

Honored Contributor

They are so predictable for the most part.  Pretty mediocre acting, especially Lacey Chaubert and Candace.  Yet they seem to get role after role.  I have watched fewer this year than in prior years.  I did watch Home Alone again last night.....for the umpteenth time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Well, @Janey2, if you mean the stories are more diverse in the use of actors, yes, I did notice that and I think that's a good thing.

The Ed Asher movie was good.

@Janey2 wrote:

I admit I am a Hallmark movie fan, but my least favorite time of year for these movies is Christmas. They start too early in the season showing Christmas movies. In the past they had maybe 6 new movies on for the season. The writing was better and so was the acting. Now these movies just seem to be the same over and over. I just watched one of their earlier movies, I think it was called The Christmas Card with Ed Asner. It was so much better than the dribble they are producing now. Also, did anyone notice how politically correct the movies have become this year? They took it to the extreme. Very interesting.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

stevieb, I agree with you. It is about chemistry. They do need to find some better looking lead men. Wes Brown is probably my favorite. Brittany Bristow, who has played a supporting role, is starring this weekend. Hope it is good. I really like her, as well as Brooke D'orsay. I change the channel after 10 minutes if the chemistry isn't there. Some of my favorites are Snow Bride, Dashing Thru the Snow,and Most Wonderful Time of Year.
Frequent Contributor

And don't forget.........the old boyfriend, fiancee, secret crush storyline.  The Xmas movies all seem to have:  the snowball fight, the ice skating, the cocoa, the baking cookies, the tree lighting etc.  My best friend is hooked on these channels and watches them all and loves them.  Most of them aren't for me but I agree about the decorating in a lot of them..........it's fabulous!

Frequent Contributor

In my opinion, if you've seen one you've seen them all!

Honored Contributor

Loving the Hallmark Christmas movies. It is a nice break for me. Although we know the outcome is always positive, it is still good, clean entertainment, and makes me feel good.

Super Contributor

I actually like the Hallmark Christmas movies.  I love the Christmas decorations, cozy cabins and lodges, and charming towns.  I love winter settings.  I also like knowing that there won't be anything offensive happening.  Even though they are predictable, I always love a happy ending.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

The pairings the last 2 years have been pretty bad.

I have them all recorded but have only watched 2 all the way through:   Christmas Scavenger Hunt and Picture Perfect Christmas.  

I could not finish the Candace Cameron Bure one.  But it took me 3 tries to like Journey Back to Christmas, so I think this is a good one, I just have to get past her misery and the cagey/creepy secretive way everyone in town is.  LOL

@VaBelle35 - I enjoyed Picture Perfect Christmas. I have the other one you mentioned recorded, but I haven't watched it yet. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree; I don't think this has been a banner year for Hallmark movies. Of the 2019 ones I've probably watched 3 or 4. I thought "Christmas Town" was ok and "Christmas in Rome" was kind of ok.

I have actually enjoyed watching older Hallmark movies on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and Hallmark Drama channels - I've never had those channels before. My favorite so far is a 2008 movie "Old Fashioned Thanksgiving" based on a Louisa May Alcott short story and the 2010 follow-up "An Old Fashioned Christmas." Also "Fallen Angel" starring Gary Senise (I think that Hallmark movie is at least 10 years old).  Other older ones I've watched and liked are "The Christmas Card" and "A Veteran's Christmas," and "A Princess for Christmas."

P.S. Another vote for "A Bramblehouse Christmas." The little boy in that movie was so cute and I like Autumn Reeser.