Honored Contributor

Re: The 2019 Hallmark Christmas Movies

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@J Town Girl wrote:

I fully admit I'm a loyal fan of the Hallmark Christmas Movies, or should I say, I was a fan.  

Almost all of the movies that have been shown so far are just terrible.   There have been just 1 or 2 that I enjoyed, but this year is the first year that I have ever watched approximately 15 to 20 minutes of a Hallmark movies and then deleted from from my DVR without even finishing it.   

I have no idea how they managed to produce such a terrible selection for 2019.   The only two that were remotely interesting to me were:  A Godwink Christmas, the 2019 version and Christmas in Rome.  

Right before I came in to write this I tried to watch the one with Alicia Witt where she played a country singer.    That one was so bad, but I tried to last for 30 minutes before I hit delete. The other performers in that movie were so awful that it was painful to watch.    

So my fellow Hallmark fans I have to ask were there any that struck you as so enjoyable that you would watch them again?     Were there any that you just couldn't make it through with changing the channel or hitting delete?    I need to know if I'm just being picky or are they as bad as I think?   

Here's to a better selection for Hallmark Christmas Movies 2020!

Lifetime Christmas movies seem to be a little betterSmiley Happy

I guess I've missed those that were... Smiley Very Happy though a few of those on UPN seem to be just a tiny bit less cloying than most of those on Hallmark...

Lots of crossover among actors between Lifetime and Hallmark... I wonder if Hallmark sells some of them to Lifetime... They all seem to repeat the same handful of movies too many times...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Yes I have to agree with op....I still watch but mostly the ones from the last year or two.  Poor chemistry between the leads, story lines are stale...I'm currently trying to get through Christmas at the Plaza..oh my, pretty bad.  For me it's all about the two main characters and if there's no chemistry forget it.  

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Valued Contributor

I agree that Lifetime is much better this year.  I switch back and forth while both are on.   

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I really liked one last year, a Brambleberry Christmas or something like that. Much better plot and acting than usual, although the formula was the same. 🙄

Like you, I also enjoyed A Brambleberry Christmas.   

Valued Contributor

I thought "Sense, Sensibility and Snowmen" was the worst one so far this season. I love Erin Krakow and Luke MacFarlane, so I was really looking forward to it. It didn't seem to even have a plot, and they had no chemistry together. My favorite, so far this year, was "A Christmas Love Story" with Kristin Chenoweth. I thought her line delivery was really funny, and I didn't see the twist coming at the end which had me in tears. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb. Yes, Bramblehouse Christmas, that's the name of it. I thought the male lead was a decent actor, the female not so much. But I did like the story and the beautiful setting, as you say.

In that one I kept thinking the male lead's sister, who shows up at the inn, looked familiar. Then I finally recognized her as having been in a Monk episode. He and she go on a date to a restaurant on like the 40th floor of a building and Monk wont get into the elevator so they walk up all those flights of stairs, only to have lost their reservation when they finally make it to the top.
Frequent Contributor

All these Christmas movies have an exact same plot, very predictable.  I've watched one or two of them for about a half hour and just had to delete them,  they're awful.  I hope we get a break soon from these terrible movies.  I'm watching Netflix!

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb, I really liked 'A Christmas Love Story' as well....once I got over her strange voice.  As you said, it was one that didn't follow the usual Hallmark story formula.

I'm really not that crazy about Hallmark movies because of the sameness of them and they use the same few actors over and over again whether they're good actors or not.  But the television offerings that aren't violent are slim to none so I find myself watching Hallmark's one trick pony formula mushiness.  Also wish they would drop the background music that's sometimes played in the background.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@MaryLamb, I really liked 'A Christmas Love Story' as well....once I got over her strange voice.  As you said, it was one that didn't follow the usual Hallmark story formula.

I'm really not that crazy about Hallmark movies because of the sameness of them and they use the same few actors over and over again whether they're good actors or not.  But the television offerings that aren't violent are slim to none so I find myself watching Hallmark's one trick pony formula mushiness.  Also wish they would drop the background music that's sometimes played in the background.

@Mmsfoxxie  I agree that it took a minute to get over her her voice. If you haven't seen it, I recommend "My Christmas Love" for something different that takes a turn. Also, I like your font!

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @MaryLamb.  It's the font called Georgia #4.  I'll be on the lookout for that movie.

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie  I agree that it took a minute to get over her her voice. If you haven't seen it, I recommend "My Christmas Love" for something different that takes a turn. Also, I like your font!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)