Honored Contributor

I know this is an older topic but I didn't want to start a new one and wanted to comment!

This show was like one of my all time favorite shows from way back when.  My other favorite was The Avengers (Emma Peal).

I recently have seen some episodes on Antenna T.V.!!  Oh, my --- I can't tell you how happy this has been making me!  Considering all of this cr*p with the virus and all the worry and negativity ---- I sure needed this!

DH found this for me and he gets the biggest kick out of me because he sees me just smiling from ear to ear when I watch it!  I am instantly transported back to when I was young and watching these episodes for the first time!

I admired and envied Marlo Thomas --- Ann Marie!  I thought she was the most gorgeous, cute, stunning, adorable, funny and wonderfully dressed and lucky girl in the world and I wanted to be just like her!

Her makeup, hair, figure, nails, wardrobe, apartment, etc!!!!!  

I later read that one of the designers she wore - Cardinali --- was terribly expensive. I saw an interview where Marlo Thomas said that of course there would have been no way that Ann Marie would have been able to afford all of the designer clothes that she wore on the show but she wanted her to appear bright, and fashion forward and not frumpy or dull.  

The writing was really clever and Marlo had great comedic talent.  All the characters meshes together so well.  She and Donald were perfect together!  I love the show just as much now as I did then--- maybe even more!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   Ditto for everything you said.  I loved it & wanted to be just like her.  I missed this thread the first time around.  I record it on AntennaTV every day and watch it. 

My 2 favorite episodes were when Harry Banner (Bill BIxby) and Ann were both staying at Don's apartment, by coincidence.  My favorite line was, "I'm going to nail you in the bedroom".  I still laugh. 

My other favorite was when Ruthie & Jerry got married in CT and Don and Ann ended up in the same room and her parents show up.   Love this show. 

Honored Contributor

Re: That Girl Marathon

[ Edited ]

I have been catching an occasional episode. What I noticed is how often she changed her outfit in a day. Each day she wore at least 3 outfits.

I had to laugh, yesterday I happened to catch a brief scene. She was coming back to a hotel room and some guy from the show (I think) walked her to her room door. As they talked in the hallway the phone inside her room started to ring, and Ann Marie said "Oh, that is Donald". And she went inside. The next scene she was lying in bed in her pretty pajamas and she started talking to Donald. 

Donald must be one patient guy. To wait on the phone, long distance, as she got out of her fashionable outfit and changed into pretty pajamas and then she crawled into bed. 

I wondered if in her contract that she got to keep some or all of her outfits.

Honored Contributor

The show is wonderful fantasy wish fulfillment, esp. for young girls as posters have noted.  I find Ann Marie amusing, but really love "Donald" (Ted Bessell).  He's the calm in the middle of the storm.  Ann and her father Lew Marie (Lew Parker) are the volatile, excitable ones, and Don and Ann's mother (Rosemary de Camp) were the soothing, grounding ones.

The chemistry between Marlo Thomas and Ted Bessell was fun.

Honored Contributor

The casting on this show is wonderful.

Lew Parker did not play her father in the pilot (the original or the second one) and I'm glad they made the change because he is just so perfect.

Friends is another show that had wonderful casting, specifically all the non-Friends.  Marlo was hilarious as Rachel's mother, but Elliott Gould is pure comedy gold.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Oh good grief!  The show was funny in a way and the fashions were spectacular AND very high end.  But I never wanted to be her.

I wanted to be Mrs. Peel!  I was her biggest fan!  I loved that show.  I loved The Avengers!

But look how far women have come!  Everything about That Girl was chauvinistic, but now Mrs. Peel. . . oh boy!  Kick some behind did THAT "girl!"

Esteemed Contributor

I wanted to be just like Emma Peel. She rocked! 

Anne Marie, not so much. The clothes were nice, but I thought she was kind of silly acting.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I know this is an older topic but I didn't want to start a new one and wanted to comment!

This show was like one of my all time favorite shows from way back when.  My other favorite was The Avengers (Emma Peal).

I recently have seen some episodes on Antenna T.V.!!  Oh, my --- I can't tell you how happy this has been making me!  Considering all of this cr*p with the virus and all the worry and negativity ---- I sure needed this!

DH found this for me and he gets the biggest kick out of me because he sees me just smiling from ear to ear when I watch it!  I am instantly transported back to when I was young and watching these episodes for the first time!

I admired and envied Marlo Thomas --- Ann Marie!  I thought she was the most gorgeous, cute, stunning, adorable, funny and wonderfully dressed and lucky girl in the world and I wanted to be just like her!

I later read that one of the designers she wore - Cardinali --- was terribly expensive. I saw an interview where Marlo Thomas said that of course there would have been no way that Ann Marie would have been able to afford all of the designer clothes that she wore on the show but she wanted her to appear bright, and fashion forward and not frumpy or dull.  

The writing was really clever and Marlo had great comedic talent.  All the characters meshes together so well.  She and Donald were perfect together!  I love the show just as much now as I did then--- maybe even more!!! 

I'm still recording the episodes and watching one or two here and there.  It was a sweet show.  I really like Marlo Thomas a lot. 

One thing that always has me mesmerized was her eye make up.  It was so perfect and lovely!   I was never one to wear a lot of make up, just enough to enhance, so I was never drawn to that but her eye make up was amazing.    The hair, too.

I like that she was pretty much an independent woman.   I didn't like Lew, though.   I get that he was Ann's father and all that, and even a bit over protective toward his ADULT daughter, but he just hit me the wrong way.

Honored Contributor

Perfect casting would have been, Danny, himself, playing her father!!!

I have seen Marlo is a few shows prior to her nose job, she really was much prettier with it.  5 years before That Girl she played Joey's younger sis on season one of the Joey Bishop Show, also shown on Antenna TV.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   I still love it too.  when it was aired on tv, decades ago, I recorded the entire season on VHS.  I was playing one the other night, and when I tried to remove it from the player, it stuck so when I was able to remove it, the tape had broken, so that is gone now.  The DVDs are available, but still on the pricey side, should be more reasonable by now, but aren't.  I don't get the channel that runs it.

My two favorite episodes are the one where they are on a picnic and all sorts of mishaps happen to Donald, bee sting, loss of a contact lens, car stuck in much and he ends up covered in it so that when they arrive at ann's parent' house, for his first meeting of them, he looks awful, lol.  the other is the Thanksgiving episode when she is using the neighbor's oven as hers isn't large enough to cook all of the food, and she gets locked out, and on and on.