Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving on TV

[ Edited ]

After participating in the "favorite memory of Thanksgiving" thread, I thought it would be fun to post your favorite TV show Thanksgiving. 

So what is yours? Mine is the famous WKRP in Cincinnati "Turkeys Away" Thanksgiving turkey drop episode.

Mr Carlson has decided to drop 20 live turkeys from a helicopter with a "Happy Thanksgiving from WKRP in Cincinnati " banner attached to each one above a busy supermarket parking lot. This doesn't go well, as Les shouts, "The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Mr. Carlson later comes in and says, "As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly!"

This was actually based on a real event in Atlanta, except the live turkeys were thrown from the back of a pickup truck. People were fighting over them. The character of Mr. Carlson was based on that top-40 station's general manager!

I still laugh when I think about it! The first time I saw that episode late at night I woke DH up I was laughing so hard!  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

the WKRP episode is hysterical! i watched it last weekend when they featured it on ME-TV. a classic for sure @beach-mom .

i would also say that ROSEANNE did great thanksgiving episodes. that wonderful big dysfunctional family around the thanksgiving dinner table  makes you want to laugh until you cry......with a little sadness mixed in sometimes.

for more serious and heartwarming thanksgiving episodes, THE WALTONS series has some great stories for thanksgiving. i watched a  waltons thanksgiving movie last weekend that was a two hour tv movie.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

There has been one movie my sister and I have watched faithfully every Thanksgiving since the fifties when we were young girls, March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel and Hardy !!!!!

We sing the songs and still get a thrill like we did as children.  It has been and still is our tradition for Thanksgiving!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The movie "Home for the Holidays." Best Thanksgiving movie ever.

Regular Contributor

Not a tv program but I love Planes Trains and Automobliles!  John Candy at his best,,,so funny!