Honored Contributor

Re: Ted Danson new show Mr. Mayor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@drizzellla  That's interesting and what a shame... It seems the only things routinely retained were films, which is such a loss, as many of the early TV shows might be quite entertaining even today... Still, there are a lot of older shows that were filmed and instead of endless reruns of Raymond, Friends, and so on, it's unfortunate none of them seem to surface...

@Spurt  As for Mr. Mayor, I see the network reran the back to back epidsode again last night... One assumes they're shopping for an audience... They can show those episodes as often as they want and there's not a snowball's chance in you-know-where that I'll be tuning in again... The show stunk...

@stevieb 

They really must've invested a whole lot of money in Mr. Mayor and maybe paid the actors a small fortune thinking it would be a hit and pull in an audience ----its nice to know that audiences have better tastes and standards than this one and people recognize a FLOP when they see it...LOL

@Spurt  Fingers crossed but with the taste of some of the American public it could just prove to be a hit... I'd add, frightening though it might be, I'm not convinced it isn't a harbinger of things to come at a higher level in the real world... And that's all I'm saying... Lips now firmly zipped...

@stevieb 

Gotcha 😉

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Thought you would... I'm no slave to youth, but really...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I did not last more than 10 minutes on this show either.

The only shows I may enjoy with Ted Danson now is the supposed encore airing of "Damages" with Glenn Close and many other actors/actresses.  This is showing on Starz Network on Dish and Ted Danson plays a more serious part.  Not fantastic acting on his part, but I am enjoying the series.

Honored Contributor

I won't watch it, but from the previews all I could think of was the character of Barry Bostwick in Spin City, "Mr. Mayor." That was a funny show. Are they trying to duplicate that? Wasn't Spin City on ABC?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I see they're showing the two episode back to back stink-fest for the third time tonight... I guess they're determined people must watch... Surprise, NBC, this one's a bomb out of the box... And it's not going to get better no matter how many times it's shown...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:
@Stevie
That's why channels of retro shows keep growing in popularity. Many of these shows were during the days of well written scripts and interesting characters...Some of the shows today are downright awful

@Spurt  I only wish more channels mined the history of sitcoms (and dramas too as far as it goes) more thoroughly and also went even further back. I'm good with seeing older shows written when quality and real humor were factors, but too many stations seem stuck on the same handful of series and by now, some of us can probablly parrot the lines before they're said on the shows...

Smiley Very Happy

Many of the old show were not taped. And if there were tapes, the tapes were thrown out.

I heard someone (can't remember who) saying they were at Groucho Marx house for lunch. During lunch Groucho got a phone call. It was a worker in a warehouse. The worker said they were clearing out a warehouse and there were alot of tapes of his  show. Would Groucho be interested in the tapes of his show. Because the worker said their instructions were to throw the tapes out. Groucho said he would like the tapes. And awhile later a truck pulled up filled with the tapes.

They said that is the only reason that on occasion we see the show "You Bet Your Life". If the worker in the warehouse had not called Groucho the tapes would have been trashed.

@drizzellla 

Antenna Tv has real old shows my grandparents talked about George Burns, Jack Benny,  Joey Bishop so some are available and some a bit more modern like Hazel..and McHale Navy...Me Tv has Leave It to beaver and my 3 sons even the real old episodes Perry mason, the Twilight zone and Alfred Hitchcock 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@drizzellla 

Antenna Tv has real old shows my grandparents talked about George Burns, Jack Benny,  Joey Bishop so some are available and some a bit more modern like Hazel..and McHale Navy...Me Tv has Leave It to beaver and my 3 sons even the real old episodes Perry mason, the Twilight zone and Alfred Hitchcock 

Also, Spurt on Retro TV they show "I Married Joan" (Monday), Petticoat Junction (Tuesday), Life With Elizabeth (Wednesday), The Lucy Show (Thursday) and Beverly Hillbillies (Friday).

Earlier this year Antenna TV celebrated Burns and Allen and Jack Benny by celebrating the 70 Years since they were on TV. Antenna TV showed 70 of their TV shows during the weekend.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I'm a big fan of the Smithsonian Channel. Lots of great, interesting programs. For some reason, though, right now there are more on the HIstory Channel that are catching my attention. But I definitely like the other too. Heart

Started watching the History Channel's series on how they build some of these really weird shaped buildings. Fascinating to see how creative the engineers are and what they go thru to defy the natural view of how something should look/work.

Respected Contributor

@LogoFan wrote:

I did not last more than 10 minutes on this show either.

The only shows I may enjoy with Ted Danson now is the supposed encore airing of "Damages" with Glenn Close and many other actors/actresses.  This is showing on Starz Network on Dish and Ted Danson plays a more serious part.  Not fantastic acting on his part, but I am enjoying the series.

I watched Damages for the first time a few months ago , and loved it.Ted's character was very sleazy and actually he was quite believable. If a series stands up 10 or more years later , you know it is good. Of course  i don't know if i have ever seen Glenn Close in any thing i didn't like.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle 

I'm in the same boat with you.  

Was having a conversation with my SIL last night about TV shows from the past and how silly/funny/enjoyable they were.  Realized I hadn't really watched any network TV since Seinfeld.

We were laughing about how, when the Disney music played on Sunday night, it was equivalent to hearing the ice cream truck coming Cat LOL