Honored Contributor

Re: Ted Danson new show Mr. Mayor

One word review after watching the first episode:  Nope.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

This just goes to show Hollywood is a small, incestuous group whose current ability to entertain us is drying up. Why do they keep trotting out these old horses in yet another attempt to bore us with same ol", same ol"? Every time I see one of these old actors taking jobs that new talent could fill, I get ticked off. Like John Travolta as Santa in a TV commercial, or Martin Sheen selling discount prescription drugs. They certainly don't need the money, and they are taking away income and career possibilities for fresh talent.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I guess qwap like this gets green-lighted by desperate networks who bank on a star's name recognition and on their belief, probably somewhat justified, that the American public will watch just about anything they put out there. There is some really bad television that seems to somehow get on and stay on the air. It seems the networks gave up on even any pretense of quality long ago.

I am more surprised Holly Hunter would sign on , she is usually very picky about her projects. I have not watched it yet so i will not judge yet.

Frequent Contributor

What book?

Honored Contributor

@Stevie
That's why channels of retro shows keep growing in popularity. Many of these shows were during the days of well written scripts and interesting characters...Some of the shows today are downright awful

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I wonder if Ted's former gal pal Whoopie will make an appearance on his new show.  That would be hysterical.  Heck, she lives just right up the street, so I hope she's not too fuming mad and shows up.  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:
@Stevie
That's why channels of retro shows keep growing in popularity. Many of these shows were during the days of well written scripts and interesting characters...Some of the shows today are downright awful

@Spurt  I only wish more channels mined the history of sitcoms (and dramas too as far as it goes) more thoroughly and also went even further back. I'm good with seeing older shows written when quality and real humor were factors, but too many stations seem stuck on the same handful of series and by now, some of us can probablly parrot the lines before they're said on the shows...

Smiley Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It's (Mr. Mayor) not good.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Isn't it great that the entertainment industry is exempt from the covid lockdown measures? So they can keep the masses entertained and distracted with this show and many other shows and movies. Did you know that NBC's Saturday Night Live has a LIVE audience?

That tells you that this thing that has a 99.8 percent or more survival rate for folks 70 and under is not a serious health issue. OR Maybe it means that actors/entertainers are immune to it. 

Honored Contributor

@Strictly Sky wrote:

Isn't it great that the entertainment industry is exempt from the covid lockdown measures? So they can keep the masses entertained and distracted with this show and many other shows and movies. Did you know that NBC's Saturday Night Live has a LIVE audience?

That tells you that this thing that has a 99.8 percent or more survival rate for folks 70 and under is not a serious health issue. OR Maybe it means that actors/entertainers are immune to it. 

@Strictly Sky  They were locked down for a long time. Our bars are open and people sit two inches away from each other, no mask.Live audiences (if there are any) have seats in between just like open movie theaters. People on airplanes are almost sitting in each other's laps. Many people believe as you do that it's not a serious issue. I don't.