Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Tab, himself, did most of the talking on th TCM docu, so he was quite open at this time about his life, i think it was only very private when he was a Hollywood Hunk in the 50's and 60's. He was not able to come out of the closet at that time. 

In the 50s things weren't out there in your face the way the famous peoples private lives are now. It was a much more innocent time in the 50s. We will never know the true story of what happened in the 1950s because everything was kept under wraps.

@Reever. People having to hide their lives and having to live a pretend life is a horrible way to have to live just because other people are so rude and judgmental. Glad that time is over.

Cant comment on this particulars actors situation but lets not blame it on the 1950s. That was truly a Golden Age in our county. Stong Unions, high wages and salaries. The clothing, cars and music were dandy. Eisenhower was elected it was just a wonderful time to be alive.  Sadly, children today will never get to experience those good old days.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Tab, himself, did most of the talking on th TCM docu, so he was quite open at this time about his life, i think it was only very private when he was a Hollywood Hunk in the 50's and 60's. He was not able to come out of the closet at that time. 

In the 50s things weren't out there in your face the way the famous peoples private lives are now. It was a much more innocent time in the 50s. We will never know the true story of what happened in the 1950s because everything was kept under wraps.

@Reever. People having to hide their lives and having to live a pretend life is a horrible way to have to live just because other people are so rude and judgmental. Glad that time is over.

Cant comment on this particulars actors situation but lets not blame it on the 1950s. That was truly a Golden Age in our county. Stong Unions, high wages and salaries. The clothing, cars and music were dandy. Eisenhower was elected it was just a wonderful time to be alive.  Sadly, children today will never get to experience those good old days.

@Reever.  Sorry, but have to disagree about the fifties being a golden age. Not in my world.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I am very happy that they won't.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

News to me he was even an ice skater.   I on't think I ever saw a movie with him in it.  I once mixed him up with Troy Donahue.  Another blond, handsome 50's movie start.  I saw him on TV "A Summer Place" Then my sister told me one was gay and the other straight. But I still mixed them up.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tab Hunter Docu on TCM

[ Edited ]

I know with certainty that Troy was straight -- to a fault, as a matter of fact.  When I lived and worked in NYC, a woman in my office had met him and invited him to her apartment. 

Discretion does not allow me to write what she experienced, but let it be known that Troy is all Alpha Sexual Guy. 

ETA:  I just checked his bio, and he was married to one of his four wives when he visited my colleague's apartment.  For some reason, I figured he was single when she invited him over.  Maybe he was having "difficulties" with his spouse at that time.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

News to me he was even an ice skater.   I on't think I ever saw a movie with him in it.  I once mixed him up with Troy Donahue.  Another blond, handsome 50's movie start.  I saw him on TV "A Summer Place" Then my sister told me one was gay and the other straight. But I still mixed them up.

You're not alone, LOL

I, too was trying to think of any movie of his I'd seen and thought of "A Summer Place".  Checked IMDB and never viewed any of TH's movies.

In any event, enjoyed the documentary...and agree the 50's were not the golden age as some recall.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Tab was popular when I was a kid, I remember going to the movies with my Grandma on a Saturday afternoon to see his movies, he and Troy Donahue. My Grandma collected the free dishes the movie house gave away on Saturday afternoon. 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

i dont think it was an "innocent time" at all.

it just SEEMED like an "innocent time" because of the naivete, the secrecy, the repression, and the hidden fear.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein