Honored Contributor

Anyone else see this last night, I really enjoyed it, made before his death last year. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle   I watched it as well.  I thought is was really, really good.  What a nice man he was!  I forgot how handsome he was as well.  I liked the idea that he was so private about his life.  He had so many interests as well.  I didn't know how good an ice skater he was.  I knew about his horses and how successful he was with them.

His life partner was equally as nice and was happy to hear that they both had a good life.

It was, truly, enjoyable!

Respected Contributor

Saw the last half and it was really good.  Hope they repeat it.  Fun to see Rona Barrett.  Hadn't heard about her in years.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Tab Hunter Docu on TCM

[ Edited ]

What an unexpected pleasure this documentary was!  In fact, had Shelbelle not started this thread I had planned to do so.

Never having heard a word about this production, I saw it on my TCM Guide and stopped and wondered what it was about.  When I tuned in to it, the film was about 15 minutes in.  Mr. Hunter was speaking, and then and throughout the entire work, all I could think was what a thoughtful, intelligent, kind and considerate human being he was.  

His life decisions did not disappoint.  And yes, I respected his desire for privacy regarding his private life.  Why should one aspect of him be subject to salacious gossip and an attempt to detract from all this man's many other excellent qualities.

Like the others, I had no idea that he was an accomplished equestrian, singer (although I remember "Young Love" more as Sonny James's hit) and ice skater.  Of course he was an image of blond beauty among men.  The gods certainly bestowed many gifts upon this man.  Humility was paramount among them; what a class act.  Whenever he was praised, he would deflect that praise to others in the movie/play/whatever.

Satisfying a need for the poetic in me, this documentary was first aired last night, which would have been Tab Hunter's 88th birthday.  This should not be missed.

{I immediately started recording when I found the documentary, and luckily, I was able to view the first 15 minutes I had missed.] 

The "Confidential" in the title of the documentary and book alludes to a gossip rag with that name that existed back in the day.  The publication did "out" him, but the studio system cleaned everything up and then dedicated itself to popularizing his availability as a bachelor.  

Image result for which modern actor resembles tab hunter

Image result for confidential magazine

Honored Contributor

His life partner, Alan Glaser was 30 years his junior , together for over 30 years, and were married in 2013, he was the one who wrote this docu, and Tab and Eddie Mueller wrote his autobiography together. tab was a wonderful son ot hissingle mom who had serious emotional issues. He had a very long relationship with Anthony Perkins, kept a secret. 

Honored Contributor

Caught the last half and like the other posters I found it fascinating.  Never really thought much of him but as the saying goes "you can't tell a book by its cover."  I was also impressed by his positive feelings about religion.  A very well done look at someone who was famous in his time.

Honored Contributor

His father was Jewish, his mom a very devowed Catholic. father deserted them and his mother made Catholicism a big part of their lives. Warner Bros had him linked romantically with Natalie Wood, but it was all a front, they would be seen together in public, but no romance. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After the docu they aired 2 of his movies, then the docu was repeated. I wish they would have shown Dam n Yankees, i have never seen it and after loving the series on Fosse/Verdon, I would love to see that. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Watched the documentary along with the comments made before and after from Eddie Muller and Allan Glaser.

Hearing about his background while growing up was really very sad.

Especially when Tab was explaining while on leave during his service in the Coast Guard, he found out his father was living in New York. So went to try and visit him, a woman answers the door and he asked if 'Charles Klem' was there, and the woman replies he wasn't in but Tab could see an image of a man sitting in a chair. He knew that image of a man was indeed his father but it really hurt Tab that he didn't want to see him. He said he just wandered around in the snow on the sidewalks of New York for the longest time just crying.

It was also sad when he spoke about his older brother Walt, who he very much looked up to, but was killed serving in the Navy during the Vietnam War. His brother left behind 7 children!

His mother was one that didn't show much love, but her mental problems probably prevented her from doing so. But she did the best she could being a single mother, working two jobs at times, in order to take care of her two boys.

All in all, throughly enjoyed the program, wish TCM would have more programming such as this, to break up always showing old movies.

Honored Contributor

what was the name of the documentary?

i want to see if i can dvr it if it comes on again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein