Honored Contributor

TWO OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND FILMS WEDNESDAY 12:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

It's a bit of a daytime Olivia fest, as a matter of fact, as you'll see from the link to schedule below.  But there are two standout films for me.  I love when a performer's interesting, perhaps more off-beat, and lesser-aired films are shown:

12:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Libel"    Dirk Bogarde, Olivia de Havilland, Paul Massie, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Robert Morley

One of my favorite "amnesia" movies.  Dirk Bogarde is an English aristocrat, named Lodden, who has a seemingly idyllic life with his devoted, charming wife (Olivia de Havilland) and child. Out of the blue, comes an accusation that, after searing wartime experiences, he came home and is in fact a lookalike impostor, the real Sir Mark Lodden having disappeared.

Lodden's life is upended, a libel suit is brought, and his relationship with his wife undergoes a gradual sea change. Bogarde uses his natural ambivalence, the 'uneasiness' in his persona, to great effect in this role, and it helps that de Havilland seems a little older and more mature than he in this;  it underscores the sort of maternal undercurrent in her feeling for the vulnerable baronet.

Terrific, suspenseful lunch time or afternoon flick!

4:15 p.m. Eastern--  "In This Our Life"  Olivia de Havilland, Bette Davis, George Brent, Dennis Morgan, Charles Coburn, Billie Burke, Hattie McDaniel, Ernest Anderson, Lee Patrick

Wonderful cast, in a rival-sister drama, in which Bette's the "bad" one, and Olivia the "good",  who is wronged by Bette in romance and in other ways.  In fact, Bette gets to be an out-and-out villain, who ends up trying to pin responsibility for a tragic car accident on a worthy young black man of her acquaintance...  Olivia's role is necessarily quieter, but effective, and they play off each other with their usual elan.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-07-01

Honored Contributor

Re: TWO OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND FILMS WEDNESDAY 12:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I saw Libel for the first time last year!  How did I miss that movie all these years.  I give the move 10 stars out of 5.  Smiley Very Happy 

Dirk is outstanding in this movie.  I forgot Olivia was in it too. Smiley LOL

In This Our Life is my all time favorite Olivia & Bette movie.

Popcorn eating.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I saw on this mornings news that Ms. De Havilland is 104 years old.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac,  and if they had included "Dark Mirror" in the mix, that would have been a home run triple feature.  Another "good sister/bad sister" theme, but since they're identical twins, Olivia gets to play both and gets double the acting workout, a la Bette in "A Stolen Life"....

@catter70--  isn't that remarkable?  What a life and career.

Honored Contributor

Today is her birthday. I am glad TCM is showing 2 of her movies. Thanks for mentioning these 2 movies, Oznell.

Esteemed Contributor

I liked her in Light in the Piazza with Rosanna Brazzi and Yvette Mimieux.  Happy 104th Birthday - that is amazing!

Super Contributor

Also, Charge of the Light Brigade is also scheduled. One of my favorites but for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would jilt Errol Flynn, such a handsome man.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed both of these films today.

Respected Contributor

She just turned 104. Wow!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Dame Olivia de Havilland will turn 104 years old on July 1st! Here is the legendary star in 2016 at her lovely Paris home. I’d say blue is her color!

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and indoor