Honored Contributor

Re: TWO MANNIX EPISODES BRING BLAST FROM THE PAST

I heartily second every one of the sentiments you expressed, @sunshine 919 !

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Oznell 

I recently realized I have another retro channel: START TV.

If you have this one, it carries programs like In Plain Sight, Crossing Jordan, Cagney and Lacey, Unforgettable, Cold Case, The Closer and more.  

I'm particularly fond of In Plain Sight and Crossing Jordan.

Dont forget Good Wife, every night at 11 ET. Also, Strong Medicine and Dr Quinn.  This channel focuses on dramas starring women. 

Honored Contributor

Bill Bixby and Diana Hyland, both talented stars who left us way too young. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle. I was thinking that too.

@Oznell. Interesting plot on the Hyland episode. In a Fugitive 😍 Episode she played a deranged woman who kidnapped a baby, and I also think she was in the episode, also playing a deranged woman, in which Clint Howard I think it was ( Ron's brother I think) played a little boy who found gifts by a scarecrow in a field near his home and the episode was called something about a straw man. Hyland was leaving the boy the gifts; I think she was his real mother (deranged).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hyland also did good drama, remember her from Twilight Zone, crazy episode. And wasnt she in a special episode of Dr Kildare? So sad what happened to her, she would have been a great Mom on Eight is Enough, she never got the chance .  Not to mention her relationship with Travolta, must have been so heartbreaking for him, he was so young then. 

Honored Contributor

That's so true, @Shelbelle -- both of them too young.  Didn't Diana Hyland have to drop out of her series when she became too ill to continue?  So tragic.

I also seem to remember that Bill Bixby had a tragedy with his young son dying unexpectedly-- just a little boy, I believe...

Yeah, @Pearlee  , Diana Hyland seemed to be a favorite in the various Quinn Martin Productions series.  I also remember her in "The Invaders", where she was the restless wife of a businessman who had started to partner with the aliens (from outer space).  David Vincent goes to work as their chauffeur, and befriending her,  helps avert the alien takeover that her hubs is trying to engineer...  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If my memory serves me correctly, Hyland was in maybe the first 2 episodes of Eight is Enough before she did have to drop out, and she shortly passed away. 

Bixby was married to the beautiful Brenda Benet, an actress she was on Days of Our Lives, and they did a Love Boat episode together. They divorced, but they had a 6 year old son who died suddenly. They were both devastated, and sadly, Benet committed suicide in 1982, not long after the child's death.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's right, @Shelbelle,  you jogged my memory.  Brenda Benet indeed had a fawn-like beauty, (and she also regularly appeared in tons of shows, including the Quinn Martin stable.).  Awful what happened to her and her little son.

Respected Contributor

Brenda Benet had also been married to child star, Paul Petersen before Bill Bixby. Bixby and his ex-wife's mercurial relationship, especially after the death of their son, was fodder for Hollywood reporters at the time.

As for these nostalgia channels, I love seeing old stars of the day who seemed to appear on them regularly. And though I'm a huge fan of TZ, the episode with Diana Hyland (with her on the horse) is so creepy I can't even watch it.😬

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
Brenda Benet had also been married to child star, Paul Petersen before Bill Bixby. Bixby and his ex-wife's mercurial relationship, especially after the death of their son, was fodder for Hollywood reporters at the time.

As for these nostalgia channels, I love seeing old stars of the day who seemed to appear on them regularly. And though I'm a huge fan of TZ, the episode with Diana Hyland (with her on the horse) is so creepy I can't even watch it.😬

Yes, i had forgotten she was first married to Paul Petersen, she was a beautiful lady, only 36 when she took her life. 

Yes, that TZ is a very creepy one!!