Esteemed Contributor

Re: TV shows that give comfort?

@GingerPeachwrote:

Years ago when I was still working, I'd come home and watch the episode of Walker, Texas Ranger that I'd taped/DVRd that day.  

Somehow, knowing good old Walker was in his prime made me think everything was OK in the world.  (I know it had its faults but it did emphasize good people trying to do the right thing.)

Well, those days are gone and I doubt there is any show (at least I haven't found one) that gives me that same feeling.  Or maybe it's just a different world.

Does anyone have or did have a show that made them feel revived or safe or just happy after a long day?  Past or present. 

I have to say I still watch a couple soaps....and during a bad or crazy or exhausting day.....i enjoy sitting down to escape to another/pretend world and for an hour i can rest my mind from the days events....

As far as regular TV shows.....Fraiser, Father Knows Best I find comforting...and Big Bang and Superstore usually make me laugh out loud!

Valued Contributor

More recent hows:  I agree with Doc Martin, The Crown, Foyle's War, so good; Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries--love her.  Better Call Saul is a great show.  Call the Midwife, soon to be back on, is wonderful.  Victoria is a great story, also.  

Way back when:  Mary Tyler Moore & The Bob Newhart Show were back to back Saturday evenings. Saturday Night Live was on 11:30 p.m.  They were very entertaining  shows.     

Honored Contributor

Leave it to Beaver

Perry Mason

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

No, the OP said have or did have shows.  That means now and/or then.

There are several shows I like but my version of comfort is probably different from others.

I like stories about brave people who make the country safe.

Yes, Indeed read exactly what the OP wrote. Failed to mention present. Thank goodness you saved the day in correcting my over sight. Thank goodness. 

Regular Contributor

Every night for many years I go to bed & watch "The Golden Girls". This is something that makes me feel so relaxed & stress free. Great question!

Honored Contributor

I so understand the "Walker, Texas Ranger" level of comfort, @GingerPeach.  I've only seen it because my son loves to watch it, but I always relate to the idea of earnest law enforcement individuals, out to do the right thing, and protect society.  That appeals to me very much.

My version of that might have been "Hunter", with Fred Dreier and Stepfanie Kramer.  Very comforting knowing those two were on the job, ha.

My favorite comfort show I have on DVD:

"The Fugitive"--  I know my mother loved this show.  I didn't start watching until reruns years later, and instantly understood what she saw in it.  Sensitive Dr. Kimball (David Janssen) is wrongly accused, and his life overturned, but he never loses his integrity or the values that drive him.  Probably the best TV show ever written...  The episodes are riveting, but I can easily fall asleep to them because there is something so reassuring about Dr. Kimball's quest...

Honored Contributor

For me it was always Friends, Cheers, Seinfeld, St Elsewhere, Family Ties. More recently Mad Men.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity I didn't mean to sound like a know it all and if I came across that way, I apologize.

I just was saying what "I" interpreted her as saying because it could have made the posts different.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity I didn't mean to sound like a know it all and if I came across that way, I apologize.

I just was saying what "I" interpreted her as saying because it could have made the posts different.

@Annabellethecat66 you didn't sound like a know it all.  We all know that you are sweet and would never deliberately try to hurt someone or belittle them in any way.  Can't say the same for that poster.  She comes off as sweet most of the time, but manages to get her snarky comments in on a regular basis.  

Valued Contributor

Every morning while I'm getting ready for work, I turn on Cozi TV and watch Frasier.  It relaxes me before I head out the door.  I know Frasier is just a tv character, but he always comes across so safe and comforting to me.  I also enjoy the humerous situations he frequently gets involved in with with his brother and father that always makes me laugh.  At night, I like to relax with the shows King of Queens and Last Man Standing.