Honored Contributor

Re: TV Shows That Haunt You.

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

Loved The Twilight Zone. I was a bookworm as a kid, loved to read and read all the time, every day, every where. I wore glasses for nearsightedness starting in the third grade. The Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith on the steps of the New York City Public Library still makes me sad today.

He is a librarian with coke bottle glasses who lives to read. A sole survivor of a nuclear disaster (?) he is surrounded by books and says now he has all the time in the world to read. He then bends down and his glasses shatter.........

That episode stays with me today!

@candyagain 

I remember this episode and was telling a co-worker about this very one earlier in the year.

There was also one where the man had a stop watch and he kept stopping time, going in and out of establishments doing what he wants,  he stops time to do something and the stop watch breaks. He is all alone...

I can go on and on about The Twilight Zone. 

@icezeus 

The Twilight Zone had many "haunting" episodes....

@candyagain 

Yep......The Good Life"....I call it "The Cornfield" starring Billy Mumy---everyone had to think happy thoughts" or suffer the consequences.....being sent to the cornfield or worse....someone was turned into a jack-in-the box.....

Then there's a real creepy one with the ventriloquist, the episode was called "The Dummy" Jerry works in a club with his dummy Willie.  Jerry tells his agent, Larry, that Willie is real and he is going to Kansas City to get away from Willie.  Jerry runs back into the theater. He goes into the dark dressing room, opens the trunk, throws the dummy on the floor, and smashes it. But when he turns on the light, he realizes that he destroyed the Goofy Goggles dummy instead of Willie. He can't understand how he could have been mistaken. He then sees Willie sitting on the couch, talking to him and laughing at him. Willie tells him that it was he, Jerry, who made him alive. Realizing the truth, Jerry lowers his head as Willie cackles crazily.

The scene cuts to a man in Kansas City announcing the next act, "Jerry & Willie". The ventriloquist is actually Willie, and he is holding Jerry, who has been turned into a dummy.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I'd forgotten that one. Thanks.

@Spurt wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

Loved The Twilight Zone. I was a bookworm as a kid, loved to read and read all the time, every day, every where. I wore glasses for nearsightedness starting in the third grade. The Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith on the steps of the New York City Public Library still makes me sad today.

He is a librarian with coke bottle glasses who lives to read. A sole survivor of a nuclear disaster (?) he is surrounded by books and says now he has all the time in the world to read. He then bends down and his glasses shatter.........

@candyagain 

I remember this episode and was telling a co-worker about this very one earlier in the year.

There was also one where the man had a stop watch and he kept stopping time, going in and out of establishments doing what he wants,  he stops time to do something and the stop watch breaks. He is all alone...

I can go on and on about The Twilight Zone. 

@icezeus 

The Twilight Zone had many "haunting" episodes....

@candyagain 

Yep......The Good Life"....I call it "The Cornfield" starring Billy Mumy---everyone had to think happy thoughts" or suffer the consequences.....being sent to the cornfield or worse....someone was turned into a jack-in-the box.....

Then there's a real creepy one with the ventriloquist, the episode was called "The Dummy" Jerry works in a club with his dummy Willie.  Jerry tells his agent, Larry, that Willie is real and he is going to Kansas City to get away from Willie.  Jerry runs back into the theater. He goes into the dark dressing room, opens the trunk, throws the dummy on the floor, and smashes it. But when he turns on the light, he realizes that he destroyed the Goofy Goggles dummy instead of Willie. He can't understand how he could have been mistaken. He then sees Willie sitting on the couch, talking to him and laughing at him. Willie tells him that it was he, Jerry, who made him alive. Realizing the truth, Jerry lowers his head as Willie cackles crazily.

The scene cuts to a man in Kansas City announcing the next act, "Jerry & Willie". The ventriloquist is actually Willie, and he is holding Jerry, who has been turned into a dummy.

@Spurt 

I'd forgotten the ventiloquist episode but it came right back when you  mentioned it.

So well written and so original at the time. What a wonderful show, The Twilight Zone, was.

Oh, The Good Life (didn't remember the real title, always thought of it as The Cornfield, too. That episode creeped me out for years, even now if I let my imagination run wild.

Honored Contributor

I remember that ventriloquist one.

Another that haunts me because it was so sad is where an astronaut gets stranded on a barren planet I think because his spaceship crashed
He is the only one on the planet except there is a beautiful female robot. She helps him and is very kind to him and he ends up falling in love with her. After a long time the astronaut gets rescued by another astronaut. The stranded guy wants to take the robot back to earth because he loves her but there isn't room in the spaceship so he has to abandon the robot on the barren planet.
The last shot of the show is of the robot all alone among the rocks and sand of the barren planet, discarded and broken with electrical wires hanging out of her face. It was so sad...
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

This wasn't a TV show, but the movie The Green Mile stayed in my mind for weeks after seeing it.

I also had a strong reaction to the movie United 93.   Knowing that it was a true story and the fact that they crashed the plane in the field in Shanksville, PA which was only a couple of miles from where I lived back in the 1970's.  Had I still been living there that plane would have gone right over our house.  

@J Town Girl   I can't watch the Green Mile again, even though I bought the DVD long ago, it is just too painful what happened to the kind soul, another case of injustice in the world.

There are several versions of United 93 with slightly different titles, though I think two versions have the same title, and in my search for the one I had seen on tv, ended up with all three as one seller sent the wrong version, anyway, I finally received the one I liked so much, so poingnant.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i remember a TV MOVIE that disturbed me. it was back from the late 1970s i believe. i was a teenager. does anyone remember the movie BAD RONALD? my guess is is that you can watch it on youtube. i have not checked to see if it is on any of the streaming services.

@sunshine45   I had recorded this movie on VHS and watched it earlier this year, not as scary as it was when I first viewed it.  I know someone who sells many of the Movies of the Week, this is one.  There are two movies to a disc, each disc is $9.99, I believe, so two movies for that price.

Honored Contributor

@candyagain -

I thought that was one of the most memorable Twilight zone edpisodes too, the poor Bookreader!

And of course the campy (as always, gotta love him and I do!) one with William Shatner seeing the monster on the wing of the plane.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i remember a TV MOVIE that disturbed me. it was back from the late 1970s i believe. i was a teenager. does anyone remember the movie BAD RONALD? my guess is is that you can watch it on youtube. i have not checked to see if it is on any of the streaming services.

@sunshine45   I had recorded this movie on VHS and watched it earlier this year, not as scary as it was when I first viewed it.  I know someone who sells many of the Movies of the Week, this is one.  There are two movies to a disc, each disc is $9.99, I believe, so two movies for that price.

@mousiegirl 

i think it is more creepy than scary. of course, it was way more when i was a teenager. is it a company that sells thouse movies of the week? would love to know the name so that i could possibly purchase some.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Black Mirror and American Horror Story. I'm never watching any episodes again. 

Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

@candyagain   So sad this episode was, will never forget it.  One of the true ironies in life..

Honored Contributor

Pacific Heights is another one that left an impression, informed me of something I didn't know regarding tenants, pretty scary.