Honored Contributor

TV Shows About Husband and Wives Renovating Houses!

I see these shows advertised and think how funny it would have been if my late husband and I had done this...NOT!!

He'd have tied me up and put me in a closet.  Ha!  First of all I have no tasted in decorating....at all.

Physical stuff I used to be able to do.  I did all of the wallpapering, painting, staining, etc in our house by myself.  My husband was all about the tough stuff (putting up walls, moulding, etc).

I see these couples talking about doing this and that and I remember some of our conversations when he'd take me in houses he'd bought and was working on.

He'd go in, pay cash and usually gut the house.  I'd go visit periodically and in the beginning put in my two cents.  He (being a gentleman) would say, "Yes, of course", then do whatever he wanted to do (which was always amazing).

He traveled all along the East Coast buying and fixing up houses.  He developed lots from huge amounts of land (the most money making projects).

I am watching Property Brothers and this is what reminded me of the two of us.

Watching these guys tear up the cabinets reminds me of "This Old House".  They salvage as much as they can and either donate it or sell it to companies that recycle this stuff.  It's amazing what can be recycled.

I know my late husband changed our kitchen cabinets (house fire) and put them down in the garage along with the counters.  He brought in from a house he was working on some other counters and cabinets and put them in the laundry room.

It's crazy the stuff people throw away and could be used by someone.  Yet these guys just rip it up and throw it away.  Ugh!  The waste.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TV Shows About Husband and Wives Renovating Houses!

This is off topic- read about another renovation show --husband and wife team--husband's name is Chip--can't remember name.  She started a cosmetic line and doesn't have time for both jobs.  Don't remember if HGTV cancelled it, or she is trying to get out of the contract.  Read about it this morning and can't remember the details--surely a sign of getting old!

Honored Contributor

I hate seeing them go after, what seem to be perfectly good but old kitchen cabinets with sledge hammers.

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

This is off topic- read about another renovation show --husband and wife team--husband's name is Chip--can't remember name.  She started a cosmetic line and doesn't have time for both jobs.  Don't remember if HGTV cancelled it, or she is trying to get out of the contract.  Read about it this morning and can't remember the details--surely a sign of getting old!

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59

Could this be Chip and Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper?  I thought they were still going strong and even doing a spin-off!

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59

Could this be Chip and Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper?  I thought they were still going strong and even doing a spin-off!

Yup--that's the show.  I read about them on my computer.  Maybe you could google it.

Respected Contributor

We did the "This Olde House" thing back north. Bought our two story wood frame house in 1973. Gutted rooms, installed fiberglass insulation, new sheet rock walls and ceiling, and fixed floors. New doors, bathroom fixtures and kitchen stuff. All new high E windows. Sweat equity. When we sold it after moving here, the listing by our real estate agent was DREAM HOUSE. Would never do that again.